Removing chlorine but keeping fluoride

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm considering a filter to remove chlorine from my city water to preserve my PEX life span. I don't want to remove fluoride. Will a carbon filter meet my needs? Anything else I should consider?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you to find toothpaste or mouthwash that contains fluoride?

Personally I would be more concerned about the possibility of toxins leaching into the potable water supply by petroleum based plastics.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you to find toothpaste or mouthwash that contains fluoride?

Personally I would be more concerned about the possibility of toxins leaching into the potable water supply by petroleum based plastics.

The relative merits of fluoridation and PEX are not the topic at hand.

I am interested in how to reduce chlorine without reducing fluoride.

Reach4

Reaction score
Removal of fluoride by GAC is much less than removal of chlorine.

I don't actually want to use https://www.allfilters.com/waterfilter/fluoride as a source, because they imply fluoride is a heavy metal, when it is the opposite of a heavy metal.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18538069/ says
"Results: Hollow-fibre membrane filters did not affect fluoride concentrations in the fluoridated water, but activated-carbon filters removed some fluoride, especially from the pure-water solution. Filtering a pure-water solution with a fluoride concentration of 0.8 mg F/L reduced the fluoride concentration until 210 L of the solution had been filtered. However, filtering a tap-water solution of 0.8 mg F/L reduced the fluoride concentration only until 8 L had been filtered. The concentration of absorbed fluoride in the filter at 10 L of filtration was 4.7 mg/kg activated carbon."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks