Reliable Angle Stops

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have been using quarter turn angle stops since they came out, but have NEVER used a Dahl valve. And the performance has always been up to par. One of my wife's uncles said, "the only good beer is Lowenbrau, the only good lenses are Zeiss, and the only good cars are Volkswagens". What does Ireland have to boast about other than a neat car that was only produced for two years, and whiskey?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been using quarter turn angle stops since they came out, but have NEVER used a Dahl valve. And the performance has always been up to par. One of my wife's uncles said, "the only good beer is Lowenbrau, the only good lenses are Zeiss, and the only good cars are Volkswagens". What does Ireland have to boast about other than a neat car that was only produced for two years, and whiskey?

that Ian left the UK to live in the US. I don't think Ian likes Ireland or its people.

I like Bailey's on the rocks or neat

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
No, Dahl really are good stops. I wouldn't trust anything else with my American Standard Cadet 3.

You divorced US Apollo valves, that you made love to a year ago?

Forgot your lithium today?

And EVERY drop of scotch comes out of US barrels - used, after our bourbon and whisky is finished. Poor England only has oak trees in parks [museums] Built too many ships to destroy the independance of hundreds of nations in the past.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Er, I said angle stops. Not Ball Valves.

Our European Oaks are far superior to your sorry excuse for Red Oak. As an exterior wood American Red Oak is positively hopeless.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
We also grow white oaks, which is required if you want to build something like a barrel, or use it outside since it won't leak like a sieve as red oak will.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Nobody puts any flavor oak outside unless it stays wet all the time. Then it lasts forever, thats what holds up Venice.

Or railroad ties, pressure soaked with creosote.

Other wise keep your oak inside and out of the sun. I buy units of red or white oak for about $1.57 a board foot delivered. I would guess in The EU you could quadruple that price.

The pores in red oak make it leak for barrels. American white oak is tight pored. French oak must be SPLIT to make it hold water, which is why a french oak barrel cost 8 times that of an American version.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Er, I said angle stops. Not Ball Valves.

Our European Oaks are far superior to your sorry excuse for Red Oak. As an exterior wood American Red Oak is positively hopeless.

So Ian, now we know how you feel about American trees too. How do you like our wonderful American Cheese? You know it comes in white or yellow. I bet it as good as anything on the Brittish menu.ANYTHING, LOL Oh my, I think you'd like a dead man's leg with your porridge.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In the US, we have moved beyond wasting our human resources producing trivial products like angle valves. We invest our human capital to produce important 21st century goods like software, jack daniels, and plutonium.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the US, we have moved beyond wasting our human resources producing trivial products like angle valves. We invest our human capital to produce important 21st century goods like software, jack daniels, and plutonium.

And that Jack Daniels is aged in Oak barrels, one of which I bought for my wife as a bucket pond. Well, I bought half of it anyway for 40 bucks at Lowes. It says "Jack Daniels Distillery" on the bottom.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
A good wine soaked half barrell kept full of wet dirt gives you about 20 years or more in caifornia and you can get a whole barrel for about 25 bucks.

MANY winemakers now chip, toast white oak or old barrells, and place the result in their OLD barrels, thus giving the same result and saving tons of oak.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A good wine soaked half barrell kept full of wet dirt gives you about 20 years or more in caifornia and you can get a whole barrel for about 25 bucks.

MANY winemakers now chip, toast white oak or old barrells, and place the result in their OLD barrels, thus giving the same result and saving tons of oak.

This guy is in my wife's 1/2 barrel now.
Still, it has no angle stop to be relative to this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I wish I could buy a whole empty barrel here for 25 bucks! It's a little too far for me to drive to CA though.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
If you buy about 50 at the winery, they go for less than 15 bucks for the older ones. The quality is a bit better than bourbon barrels as the wood is a bit thicker and the hoops usually galvanized. I used to open the heads and shave the interior on a router jig and retoast them.

I bought some Yugoslavanian oak barrels - 3000 gallon - and sold a few and made furniture from the remainder. I think I paid 400$ for them.

My real deal was SEQUOIA, clear all heart, 5000 gallon tanks from a winery museum in the sierras [have not been allowed to cut sequoia for 75 years] all 3x6 material. Probably 10,000 board feet - and all burned in a wildfire.

The fire department saved some crap 2x4's units in my yard because they looked "new" and let the irreplaceble burn.

Anyway, when you cut a barrel in half you must drill a pile of holes in the hoops and screw them in or it falls apart, so you didnt do bad after all.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If I bought 50 barrels at the winery, and we do have several here on Long Island, my neighbors would tar and feather me (or at least demand a barrel or 2:D For the 40 bucks I spent at Lowes, all the work of procuring the barrel and cutting it in half nicely was done for me. The plastic liner cost 20 bucks too, I could have used pond lner material, but thats a PIA to do with upholstery nails, etc. I already did that with another barrel pond I made for my wife about 10 years ago. Out of curiousity though, I may one day ask the vineyards here if I can buy an old barrel or 2 from them.

http://www.google.com/search?source...=1T4GGLL_enUS355US355&q=long+island+vineyards

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
You can skip the liner and I'll bet the barrel lasts longer. But on the east coast, most barrels sold are leakers, as the supply is so low. Oak borers make big leaks even in california.

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
quote; They're made in Canada too which means that you do not have to worry about shoddy American craftsmanship.

Does that mean you have to worry about "shoddy Canadian craftsmanship"? OR possibly "Canadian valves" made in China or Mexico.

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to start...I am a member of the family that owns Dahl Brothers Canada Limited in Mississauga, Ontario (our one & only location - no foreign facilities), and have worked full-time in the family business since 1992.

1. The USA is a great country and Canada has benefited tremendously because the USA is our neighbor

2. I believe that American ingenuity was the driving force behind the modern supply stop as we know it. If I understood my late father correctly (the man who bought Dahl Brothers Canada Limited in 1960 from Broderne Dahl of Denmark and turned the company from a distributor into a manufacturer), it was Brass Craft that pioneered this style of valve.

3. We buy our brass bar stock & Teflon rod from the USA - in our opinion, you cannot buy better quality brass bar stock on the planet.

4. I hope that nobody ever has to worry about shoddy Canadian craftsmanship with regard to our products, but please call us if you ever have a problem! We aim to have a human being on the phone with you within 15 seconds of our automated phone system receiving your call.

5. You will never have to worry about shoddy Chinese or Mexican craftsmanship with Dahl valves as long as my sister and I are active in the company. We design, engineer and manufacture our components and valves at this factory. And, by the way, Dad really was the guy who pioneered 1/4 turn supply stops in North America. Our mini-ball valve was introduced to the Canadian plumbing market in 1984.

6. I'm howling with laughter at the comment about Norway, because my parents immigrated to Canada from Norway in 1953. :D

Canada is also a great country and, together with the USA, North America is a great place to live.

Thanks,
Dahlman
P.S. Wolverine actually manufactures valves? I had no idea! :confused: But it's great to see anybody manufacturing in the US or Canada!

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Now we have something to talk about! Good on you guys for using our brass to make a great valve.

I buy a lot of quarter turn pex crimp type valves from PEX supply, and they are branded WATTS with no country of origin, though on "appearance" they appear of good quality.

Get your marketing guys on top of pex supply, they do big business here, and try and get them to carry your valve so I can buy them.

I am a builder and manufacturer, and also the product of immigrant parents and grandparents. So its a great feeling when you hear from another successful company that has not sold its soul to Asia.

Another great valve maker for the milk and food market is Tri-clover, still based I believe in Kenosha Wisconsin. Products that belong in a museum.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks