Recommended well water setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Bannerman

Reaction score
I was told today that in a WS of 10" or smaller don't need gravel in the bottom.
Some online dealers will claim that as gravel is heavy and increases their shipping costs. There are too many that try to underbid their competitors so leaving out the gravel under-bedding, saves a few bucks.

The main purpose of a gravel under-bed is to distribute the flow across the entire tank diameter. There are no drawbacks to gravel in any diameter tank and, it can act as a safeguard if the bottom screen is ever broken as the gravel can prevent resin from entering into the home's plumbing system.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Carbon has a "service" flow of approximately 5 gpm per ft2 of bed area. This is for the reduction of organic chemicals, taste, odor, chlorine etc. Some chemicals are more easily removed than others like chlorine. Chlorine reduction is achieved at higher flow rates, but contact time is still important. The vast majority of water flow to a house is in the 2-3 GPM range. Rarely does a house exceed 5 gpm or higher. I have made it a habit of checking the peak flow rates of almost every system we touch and I rarely see peak flow exceeding 9-10 gpm. That being said, code says differently. The potential flow must be accommodated, not the actual flow. A 2 CF Carbon tank with a large port valve will likely peak at 15+ gpm without any problem.

Gravel is cheap insurance. Many online companies don't use it in their desire to be the lowest price company especially when people are only looking at price. Most people don't know that the a high quality valve can be put on a piece of junk, low cost tank, cheap risers, low quality screens, lousy brine tank with junk safety floats, low grade medias, all in their desperate desire to be the lowest price. A well built system will cost a little more. Not using gravel in a traditional system design is a bad idea, but it is common since the companies doing it can save 15-30 pounds of shipping cost. When they offer "Free" shipping...

davidwater

Reaction score
Thank you Ditto that was informative. If I understand what has been said....
12" 2 cuft Carbon Tank for chlorine filtering the SFR of chlorine clean water will = 10+ gpm (far exceeding most house holds) and I'll need the backwash rate of at least 7 gpm to clean it.

Will a 1 cuft Tank be more than adequate for most houses (for me) for chlorine then?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Service flows of a 9" tank would be around 2.5 gpm. I am not a fan of 1 cf tanks for houses, but in all honesty, it would probably be "adequate" but not ideal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks