Recommended settings for Upflow Fleck 5800SXT, 45000 grains

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have an upflow piston, with a blue dot? check if you are not certain, because most softeners are downflow with the downflow piston.

You would also need to have the plug and injector set for upflow. See notes on page 17 lower right.

Assuming yes,
salt lb/cuft : 7 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC : 0.125 ; Brine Refill rate GPM (edit:corrected)
cubic ft resin : 1.5 ; Same as (nominal grains/32,000)
Raw hardness : 8 ; including iron etc
Estimated gal/day ; 120 ; 60 gal per person prediction (auto-tunes)
Est days/regen ; 34.44 ; presuming days each use estimated

Fleck 5810SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = 5810 ; Valve type
RF = UFbd Upflow Brine Draw First (if using regular salt indoors)
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
C = 33.1 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 8 ; Hardness grains after comp factor
RS = cr ; Cr = base reserve on recent experience
DO = 30 ; Day Override (typ 30 if no iron/Mn)
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
B1 = 5 ; Backwash 1 (minutes) [3...10]
Bd = 110 ; Brine draw minutes #00 injector, 7 lb/cuft salt (could go to 120)
B2 = 4 ; Backwash 2 (minutes)[3...10]
RR = 6 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 28 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = t1.2 (usual) ; t1.2 is default flow meter
RE = OFF ; Relay
VR = OFF ; ?

Last edited:

Mike89

Reaction score
Definitely upflow, confirmed with position of the injector, and terrible flow all the time performance when set to downflow :)

My BLFC is now .125GPM (changed the small plastic disc) if that makes a difference. So UFbd is preferred to UFff? What does Sv = 60 stand for with the RF = UFff?

I can change to UFbd, but I am guessing I have to put some water in my brine tank? It's looking pretty empty now, it would likely try to draw brine from an empty tank with that setting.

Reach4

Reaction score
My BLFC is now .125GPM (changed the small plastic disc) if that makes a difference. So UFbd is preferred to UFff? What does Sv = 60 stand for with the RF = UFff?
SV is software version, and I think that is read-only. So it seems unlikely they would have used SV, even with different case, for something else.

If another variable appears when you go to UFFF, which is fill first, I would suspect it tells the unit how long to wait after filling the brine tank. And 60 minutes seems like a reasonable number. Fill first is normally used if using potassium salt. With sodium salt (regular stuff) you usually fill at the end of the cycle and it is already filled for the next regen. I don't know if there is a disadvantage to fill first, unless it may not quite saturate the brine with salt... not sure. If you want to go with fill first, go for it.

I had actually changed to the 0.125 and re-did the calculations. Foolishly I had only changed part of my post. I have edited #21 to correct that.

Mike89

Reaction score
SV is software version, and I think that is read-only. So it seems unlikely they would have used SV, even with different case, for something else.

If another variable appears when you go to UFFF, which is fill first, I would suspect it tells the unit how long to wait after filling the brine tank. And 60 minutes seems like a reasonable number. Fill first is normally used if using potassium salt. With sodium salt (regular stuff) you usually fill at the end of the cycle and it is already filled for the next regen. I don't know if there is a disadvantage to fill first, unless it may not quite saturate the brine with salt... not sure. If you want to go with fill first, go for it.

I had actually changed to the 0.125 and re-did the calculations. Foolishly I had only changed part of my post. I have edited #21 to correct that.
No worries I had the values from before. My BW seems like it is a single BackWash, so I set it for 10 minutes. I still need to bump up my BD, I will set it at 120 and forget it. I am a bit concerned the tank seems dry, as I thought my settings for the previous BLFC button and injector (0.5gpm, light blue #2 injector) were correct. It looks like it overdrained it at the last regeneration. I will put a little water in there so I feel better about it. Hopefully the fill first option corrects that at the next regen cycle, and its smooth sailing from now on.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Brine Fill First is just as it says. Using BFF will cause the brine tank to remain mostly empty of fluid until the regeneration cycle begins. Salt takes a little time to fully dissolve 3 lbs salt per gallon so the 60-minute delay directly following brine fill provides that time.

When using BF last, no delay is required as the water that entered will prepare brine usually several days in advance of the next subsequent regeneration cycle.

As mentioned, BFF is commonly utilized for when Potassium Chloride will be utilized as the regenerant. Potassium Chloride is temperature sensitive so the amount dissolved will change depending on the incoming water temperature. In using BFF, the 1 hr delay time provides little opportunity for the water temperature to change, thereby allowing the quantity of Potassium to be dissolved to remain consistant each cycle, compared to temperature changes that may occur when the brine is prepared several days in advance.