Recommendations for draining waterlines back to the pitless adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

S_Bacon

Reaction score
I am in the process on installing a new well at my seasonal (Maine) cottage and am looking for the best way to drain the line from my pressure tank back to the pitless adapter each fall . I was considering adding a small ball valve in a tee just below the pitless adapter but the guy at the local plumbing supply house convinced me there is not enough room nor do I like having to remove the cap to access the valve. I was referred to a well driller who according to the plumbing supply house has a “pressure valve” that opens if the pressure in the line is below 12 psi and closes if above, I have a call into the well driller but have not heard back. My last option which i like but know the least about and can find only one article online but does not contain a lot of detail; “ pressurized pitless adapter” that some how allows a slip stream (back-flow) at low pressure and shuts off at some point as the pressure in the line increases.
So my ask, what is the best configuration that will allow the line between my cottage and the well ( cottage is higher elevation then the well) to drain at the end of the season with the least amount of work by me each fall.? I would think this is a common problem with any well to a seasonal cottage. I should note my cottage is on posts with no basement or frost walls.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
BTW, it is not necessary to use the bleeder with a snifter, check valve, and hydro-pneumatic tank if you just want the drainback when the system is shut down for the season. It can be used with a conventional captive air tank. The bleeder will just drip small amounts while under pressure until such time that you drain your pressure tank. Just leaving the draincock open will provide the air to let the bleeder drain.

If however, you want to use the system at times when there is a risk of freezing, then you want the whole package so it drains back every time the pump cycles off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks