Recirculation pump line length

Users who are viewing this thread

LukePDX

Reaction score
I have a renovation of two 8x10 bathrooms on top of each other (8ft ceilings), serviced by one tank right next to lower bathroom. It's all conditioned space. I'm not 100% sure what the plumber plans, but I can't imagine a line longer than 32ft from the tank (probably the upstairs rain shower head). The four faucets are on the same wall as the heater, their supply lines could be 10 feet or less.

I'm considering units with and without internal pumps. Is there a rule of thumb for what distance the recirculation pump starts to become useful?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With careful design, you can get water to circulate all on its own. The better you make the insulation, the driving force caused by temperature changes (radiating heat, and thus becoming denser/heavier) it becomes less capable of flow. So, it's somewhat a tradeoff of wasting energy heating the water and having it circulating on its own, or managing it with a pump and only doing it when wanted. A typical recirc pump is quite small, and may not need to run constantly. Getting your system to circulate on its own means following some careful design rules.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks