Recirculating pump log run question

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Installing a recirculating pump for hot water, but I have a run from the basement to the 3rd floor on the right- do I need to go up and down with an 1” line or can I just have a 1” branch go off the loop to that floor?

Attachments

• IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 62

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I'm not following your words but here goes:
One giant loop is the way to go...that said, since flow is not critical on the return size except to meet pump's needs, we size accordingly.
1" to the top floor is on the big size unless you have a lot of hot water fixtures to support up top. More normal is 3/4" and continuing with a 3/4" loop back to the pump.

Reaction score
So for that right side run up to the 3rd floor, run ma 3/4” branch off the main 1” loop up to the one bathroom up there, but keep the remaining loop at 1” since it will service 2.5 baths on the left hand side? The main loop return would be 3/4” - like the layout below?

Attachments

• IMG_9446.jpeg
    IMG_9446.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 60

Breplum

Reaction score
If by your drawing, you have two long runs of 3/4” hot without a return, then no.
A loop is just that, up over and back down to return.

Reaction score
Ok- I guess what I’m asking is is it worth running the 1” loop up to the 3rd floor and back down, or just run 3/4” lines off the loop in the basement to the 3rd floor as a branch only?

Breplum

Reaction score
Running up and back down is absolutely worth it. If only two bathrooms up top, 3/4" fully insulated, should be fine.
Hot button or motion detectors is ideal for any recirculation system for max. efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks