Recirculating hot water system

Users who are viewing this thread

Vern Lockwood

Reaction score
When the recirculating pump begins to run all of the showers drip profusely. The house is new and the builder replace all the valves for the showers but it still occurs wasting thousands of gallons of water.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. Put it on a laundry tap or the drain for the water heater. I suspect that the pressure rises, even for the cold water lines, but I can't be sure. A pressure gauge is cheap enough.

Do you have a thermal expansion tank? Maybe you need a bigger one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical recirc pump is quite small. If they used an overly large one, it might be able to pressurize the lines some (like a booster pump). Otherwise, with the return line, it normally wouldn't pressurize the lines. They're normally sized so that they can just slowly circulate the water at the system pressure (it might go up a pound or two, but not much).

Does the dripping ever stop? The slight vibration on the line might just be 'shaking' the water out of the shower arm and head, and once that drains/drips out, it would stop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks