Rain water getting inside the window and water dripping in winter. Who to call?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
Hello, two problems I have.
1) In my kitchen window, ( the first 4 pictures) I saw lots of rain water as you can see in the pictures below. It rained hard today and I kept cleaning the rain water in the crack and put a towel there. Who should I call to fix this problem? Call, windows guys ? roofer? handyman? plumber? or someone else?

2) Also I get water leaking, water dripping down little by little from my bathroom window , see the picture of the bathroom window with the green paint mark? That;s where the water is dripping down little by little ONLY in cold winter season, ( the last 2 pictures) above the rolls of towels as you can see ONLY during very cold winter season here in Illinois. Not during raining season or in season other than freezing cold winter season. Who should I call for this one?

I need to call the right person. Please let me know who to call for these two almost separate problem. one, rain water getting in from the bathroom window when it rains and the other, water dripping from the bathroom window ONLY during freezing winter season, whether we take shower or not.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2364(1).PNG
    IMG_2364(1).PNG
    467.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 65

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro, but have had to fix some similar issues. Pictures from outside would be helpful. Kitchen sounds like a leak where something is not flashes/sealed correctly. Bathroom sounds like it could be condensation due to inadequate insulation or vapour barrier. I would hire a company that does roofing, siding, and windows. If you are able, you may want to DIY it … these can be a pain to track down … but are sometimes an easy fix (sometimes not). You can take your garden hose and and spear any suspect locations until you determine where the water is getting in.

House-improvements.com might be a good resource for this question … they have a few guys that do a lot of this sort of work.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I would call a window company and ask if they know anyone that can take of of these type problems or they may offer the service looking to sell new windows. Be careful but there are poorly made windows that can routinely leak.

When the window leaks from the top, it most likely the seal at the top on the outside has failed. How to fix it depends on your type of siding. As the siding expands and contracts with weather, things move and the caulking can get pulled away. Winter time with no rain and still have dripping is as what "Weekend Handyman" suggest, condensation. From the pictures it's hard to tell if the windows are aluminum or vinyl. If aluminum it is nearly impossible to stop condensation where as the frame gets very cold. Either vinyl or aluminum the window frames usually do have a insulation barrier to minimize heat transfer. Being in Illinois you may be using a humidifier. If the humidity setting is too high can exacerbate the problem or even cause it.

The bottom tracks of the window have weep holes or slots to allow water to drain outside should it fill with water. These must be clean and checked regularly. Soot and dirt will fill in and sometimes you cannot see them. run a small screw driver along the outside base and you fell it if you cannot see it. My own bathroom window over the tub did exactly that. Wind driven rain came in around the window frame and filled up the track. You may see them in the window track itself so open the window and look for cut slots.

A window company may recommend to replace the window with better quality. If these are builders grade (installed when the house was built) usually are not top tier windows. I had a bathroom remodel done that required a smaller window. The contractor installed a Pella window, vinyl all around and the quality is incredibly good as compared to the aluminum window that came out.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. If you have vinyl siding (what I am familiar with), the kitchen issue may have nothing to do with the window itself. If you have a place water can get behind the house wrap above the window (e.g. penetration for a light, j-trim for bump out, etc.) it could be that you just notice the issue when the water hits the window. In such instances, fixing the point if water infiltration will fix the leaking at the window.

Questions1

Reaction score
It is raining outside and I took one pic from outside the window and the rest are inside where the water is coming. I called a contractor , he told me the rain water is getting in because of the screws on the window. told me screws were put for no reason and should be removed and than caulk and water shouldn't get it. Here is what he said in the estimate
REMOVE SCREWS FROM BOTTOM PLATE OF KITCHEN WINDOW AND APPLY SILICONE
WE DON’T GIVE ANY WARRANTY SINCE THE INTEGRITY OF WINDOW WAS COMPROMISED
BY SCRWING ON BOTTOMM PLATE

Questions1

Reaction score
It is raining outside and I took one pic from outside the window and the rest are inside where the water is coming. I called a contractor , he told me the rain water is getting in because of the screws on the window. told me screws were put for no reason and should be removed and than caulk and water shouldn't get it. Here is what he said in the estimate
REMOVE SCREWS FROM BOTTOM PLATE OF KITCHEN WINDOW AND APPLY SILICONE
WE DON’T GIVE ANY WARRANTY SINCE THE INTEGRITY OF WINDOW WAS COMPROMISED
BY SCRWING ON BOTTOMM PLATE

no longer allows attaching files or pictures.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks