Question on ceiling fan/light I plan to install

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
I want to put up a new fan'light combo, but I want the light running off a 3 way switch but only need the fan from one switch, so I figure I would run the fan wire from the power source box and then have the 2 wire from the other switch, the 3 way, coming in to the fan , so there will be 2 2 wire lines, so my question is, do the neutrals all connect at the unit or do they staty separate, one with the fan and one with the light?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Neutrals since all the power for both fan and lite can all be tied together. Could also use two fan remote controls use both controllers and only one fan controller with the same address.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I understand your planned wire routing correctly, you'd want to do this (all cables are with an EGC, not listed):

Source Power box
| 2 conductors: hot and neutral
Box with fan switch and 1st 3-way
| 4 conductors: switched fan hot, 2 travelers, neutral
Box for ceiling light mounting
| 3 conductors: 2 travelers, return switched light hot
Box with 2nd 3-way

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks