Question- I have a Toto Clayton model ST784S- its more than 15 years old, was working great. Problem running after flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Work123456

Reaction score
Hi,
after I flush the toilet it will run for 20 seconds, then quiet, run 5 seconds, then another 5 seconds, again 5 seconds, then quiet. I noticed the water in the tank was kind of dirty, as I took the top of the toilet there were some spots on the porcelain. Anyone know what is wrong with the toilet and how I can fix it. thanks

IMG_0365 (002).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually this would indicate a leaky flapper. Turn off the stop valve, at the wall, and see what happens to the water level. If the water stays within an inch of the overflow, then the problem is some other fixable thing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Usually this would indicate a leaky flapper. Turn off the stop valve, at the wall, and see what happens to the water level. If the water stays within an inch of the overflow, then the problem is some other fixable thing.
Yes, a worn flapper will cause the tank to keep refilling.
Or if it does shut off eventually, it could be the fill valve needs a new assembly cap, or even a replacement fill valve.

R528-Unpackaged.jpg
Korky R528

korky-toto-white-box-600.jpg

Korky 528T fill valve. Most any brand of fill valve will work too.

korky-2023bp.jpg

Work123456

Reaction score
Or if it does shut off eventually, it could be the fill valve needs a new assembly cap, or even a replacement fill valve.

R528-Unpackaged.jpg
Korky R528

korky-2023bp.jpg

R528-Unpackaged.jpg
Korky R528

korky-2023bp.jpg

regarding this toilet fix

Robert Gift

Reaction score
Have you cleaned the rim on which the flapper closes? Any nicks in the rim through which water can leak?
And clean the flapper's surface which seats on the rim. Any defects in the flapper'seat surface?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks