Question about Connecting Ice Maker to Cold Water Line (3/8" PEX to 1/2" Copper)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I ran a 3/8" PEX line to my ice maker. I was originally planning to use a 1/2" line with an ice maker valve box, but I couldn't navigate the 1/2" around a tight corner bend. In hindsight, I could have used a 90, but I was trying to avoid in-wall crimps. I had considered 1/4", but it's a far run, and I was afraid that water flow would be restricted. I now need to connect this to the 1/2" copper under my sink, and I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

I see that they make a 3/8" PEX x 1/2" Copper Pipe Adapters, so I think that would work. The only issue is that I guess I would have to install a 3/8" x 3/8" shutoff valve, which would mean an additional crimp. I noticed that Sharkbite makes a crimp version (my PEX is Zurn, so I'm not sure if that's a problem). Is there a better, cleaner way to do this? I appreciate any input/advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to connect 3/8 PEX to a 1/2 inch copper pipe that is dedicated to supplying the ice machine? If so, the SharkBite U009LF should be able to do that.
u009lf-3.jpg

You could also solder a 3/8" PEX x 1/2" Copper Pipe Brass Adapter to the copper pipe, and clamp your pex on.
pxca038-050-3.jpg
That will look more professional.

If not, https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/connecting-3-8-pex-to-a-standard-water-shutoff.49336/ may inspire you.

Last edited: