Push-Pull valve for brand new shower? Bad idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyleb2112

Reaction score
I like the old push-pull valves because I can control water pressure with them, and I don't have to turn the knob through the "cold" region when turning off the water. Is it crazy to install one in my new shower? Do they even sell them anymore?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You are probably referring to the old Moen Chateau where the handle generally was as shown below. Millions of them were installed in new homes since they were builders grade (cost wise) and generally very reliable. They still are using the same name but they are now have POSI-TEMP and operate as what you described. The reason is federal mandates the all tub/shower valves must have anti scalding feature.

If you want one that controls both flow and temperature, Delta makes one of the best for the money though they still can get expensive. The outer lever controls the flow, the inter one controls the temperature. To have one installed the entire valve body must be replaced. The Delta body is the R10000 series (https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/R10000-UNWS) and the trim kits are the 17 Series.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.00.13 PM.jpg
delta-t17038-278.jpg

Last edited:

Kyleb2112

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, it's definitely what I needed to hear. I'm all over that one with the separate lever for pressure control! Never seen that before. It's weird more people don't care about that.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moen makes Moentrol. Works like the standard Moen valve but is pressure balanced to meet the new codes.
Pull out for volume, and turn left for hot and right for cold. You can leave the knob in your favorite position and pull it out for water flow.

moentrol-3520.jpg

moentrol-exploded.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, that type of valve is adjusting the volume out, not the pressure, which is fixed. The pressure is the same whether you're feeding a soda straw or a fire hose, but the fire hose can provide much more volume. To make a shower head accelerate the water, there has to be a restriction, and the supply must be more than the restriction will allow to flow through to get the maximum velocity of the water out of the head (Bernoulli principle). Volume and pressure are related, but not the same thing when you're talking fluid flow.

For a little more, on that Delta rough-in valve, you can get a thermostatically controlled valve. Still two handles, but one sets the temperature, and the other the volume. Winter/summer, as the cold water temperature may change, your thermostat setting doesn't have to change...it adjusts the hot/cold mix to keep it the same as the inlet temperatures change either as you start to run out of hot from the tank, or the cold gets colder. On mine, since the air temp is usually a little cooler in the winter, I like to bump the thermostat setting on the valve a little higher, but it's a seasonal thing and personal preference...otherwise, the actual water temperature would stay the same season to season.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks