Pump pressure question/troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

Buzzaro

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I posted a few weeks ago about choosing a submersible pump for an irrigation system that will pull from a creek. I got it set up and running and it worked great at first. Now though it won't maintain the same pressure as when it first got going. I've got a CSV125-3 on there at 50psi. So here's all the stats and what's going on.
When I first got it running it would maintain 50psi with a hose bibb wide open and was doing roughly 30gpm (crude bucket test) that's only with 10 feet of elevation from water to spigot
Now after a couple weeks of use, it only maintains around 40psi with the spigot at around 1/4 turn. Other than that it seems to be working ok.
Any ideas on what's going on?
Thanks
Hallmark 1hp 33gpm submersible (yeah I went with the cheap one to make sure my set up was even going to work)
Cycle Stop Valve 125-3 on the drop pipe (all threaded connections prior to the valve)
Rain Bird disc filter
20 gal pressure tank at 38psi
pressure switch set to 40-60

Attachments

• Photo Aug 25, 6 19 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 25, 6 19 20 PM.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Photo Aug 31, 6 37 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 31, 6 37 28 PM.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 248

Buzzaro

Reaction score
Clean the filter?

I did open it up and take a look. It didn't appear to be that bad but I don't have the experience to know what a full disc filter element looks like. I'll pull it out today, actually clean it, and see if that makes any difference.

Buzzaro

Reaction score
If you don't have a good inlet strainer of some kind I would guess the pump screen and/or the eye of the first impeller are clogged.
What kind of strainer should I have on there?
Currently I've got a screen that's about 1/4" that keeps sticks and leaves out of the 6" pipe, then it's got the 4" induction pipe around the motor, then it's got the stock screen on the intake of the pump itself. The pipe is also turned up at the bottom of the creek so it's not sucking from the creek bed but from the water flowing above.

Buzzaro

Reaction score
I pulled the pump to see if appeared to be clogged. To me it doesn’t but maybe I didn’t dig far enough into it? Anyway here’s a couple pics of the screen on the pump and the best I could get of the first stage intake.

Attachments

• B9FDC6BB-8386-42DC-8C9B-2B0AF21427B9.jpeg
    B9FDC6BB-8386-42DC-8C9B-2B0AF21427B9.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 923083D4-FCB3-47C3-86C1-881FE33D6B13.jpeg
    923083D4-FCB3-47C3-86C1-881FE33D6B13.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 229

Buzzaro

Reaction score
Good pics. Doesn't look clogged. Those pumps don't build much pressure. Make sure your filters are clean.
Cool thanks. I did rinse out the disc filter, which really didn’t seem all that dirty, and it didn’t make a difference. I guess the pump just isn’t meeting it’s spec. It makes the claim of 207’ head, but it’s really only making around 120’ or so. 45 psi with one hose sprinkler and drops to 40 with two and 20-25’ of lift depending on where on the property I am. It’s not going to be enough to run my sprinklers without planning itty-bitty tiny zones. I’m going to go ahead and pull the pump and replace it with a Goulds 25GS10
Thanks again for the help

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not much difference in a 25 and a 33 GPM pump. The Hallmark was doing it and something changed. What is holding the pump up? It doesn't look like the pipe is sitting on the well seal? Is the pump just sitting on the bottom of the well?

Buzzaro

Reaction score
Not much difference in a 25 and a 33 GPM pump. The Hallmark was doing it and something changed. What is holding the pump up? It doesn't look like the pipe is sitting on the well seal? Is the pump just sitting on the bottom of the well?
The pump is in the 6” PVC with a torque arrestor just above the pipe connection to the pump that holds it roughly centered. Then the 6” PVC is laying at about a 45 going into the creek. The discharge then comes out of the well seal, which is really just there to hold the discharge pipe and conduit, doesn’t really do any sealing. Other than possible clogging I can’t really think of anything that’s changed. The pump looked the same when I pulled it and if it moved it couldn’t have been more than 1” or so. I’ve got an inducer on it and the water comes from below the pump. It’s has a few days of pretty heavy use, supplying concrete trucks and running sprinklers for 8+ hours. That’s about all I can think of.

Buzzaro

Reaction score
An extra 10' of lift makes a big difference with that pump?

I'm not sure what you mean, the pump hasn't moved. I do know that whether I'm running a sprinkler though a hose at an area with only around 10-15' of total lift vs running a sprinkler through a hose at an area with 20-25' of total lift (from the surface of the creek) the results are roughly the same. Holds 40-45 psi (I've got a 50psi CSV on the line before the pressure switch/tank) with the water on. Is that what you mean?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am talking about lift from the river. If the water level in your casing drops 10' or so it will make a lot of difference. Like if your screen is clogging up and the water in the casing is 10' lower than the river level.

That pump can build 89 PSI max. That is something you could check before replacing the pump.

Buzzaro

Reaction score
I am talking about lift from the river. If the water level in your casing drops 10' or so it will make a lot of difference. Like if your screen is clogging up and the water in the casing is 10' lower than the river level.

That pump can build 89 PSI max. That is something you could check before replacing the pump.

Oh ok, got it. No the water level doesn't change. It's only in around 30" of water and doesn't fluctuate, it will come up a foot or two in the winter but it's about as low as it gets. I'll remove the blowoff and see if it builds over 85.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the blow off?
He is referring to the pressure relief that is next to the pressure switch.

Buzzaro, I would temporarily increase the air precharge to maybe 70 or 80 first. I don't know if your pressure tank has an internal dome to prevent overstretching the diaphragm, but increasing the precharge with the power off won't hurt. Then deadhead the pump for your test, and turn the power back off. Then release the water pressure and restore precharge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks