Pump Installation Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Well Newbie

Reaction score
I'm installing a new sewage pump and I noticed a round venting hole in the old pipe at the connection to the pump. Does the pump exit pipe need venting? The unit that the pump sits in has a 4" vent already. Should the hole in the exit pipe be above or below the water level? It seems that the hole will sit underwater. Help! Thanks

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Venting

That hole is ok as it prevents air-locking of the pump. As long as the system has a flapper check the system should work just fine.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Should the hole in the exit pipe be above or below the water level? It seems that the hole will sit underwater.

Mine is low enough to be under most of the time, and I believe low is best. My sump does not have a sealed lid, and a high hole would result in a sharp stream of water spraying and splashing all around and even up and out whenever the pump is running.

Well Newbie

Reaction score
Thanks, but now I have another question!

Should the 4" vent in the sewage room be underwater as well? Cause the plumber who installed it initially left the vent pipe below waste level. Thanks, I'm trying to get this done tonight. I have the saw out and ready to cut the vent pipe but I figured I would ask first. Thanks :confused:

Well Newbie

Reaction score
Is it ok to have the (pump room) vent pipe always under water even after the pump has discharged? It seems that the vent is too low to the ground in the sewage room? Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks