Proposed DWV layout for modified existing bathroom & laundry (Ontario, Canada)

Users who are viewing this thread

riverdale

Reaction score
Ontario, Canada. Looking for a confirmation of a proposed DWV layout. Due to a roof leak and water damage etc. we are redoing our second floor bathroom and adjacent laundry room. Taking this opportunity to correct numerous issues, both plumbing and non-plumbing, from previous owners “handiwork” all over the house with some slight rearranging of the fixtures etc.. Since we are redoing it all anyway, we want to ensure it is all done correctly. Apologies in advance if I’m being unclear or using incorrect terminology (Can I blame that on regional differences…?). Thank you.

Here is a picture of the existing set up, as far as I can tell anyway, as full demo has yet to take place. If I’m not mistaken, at the very least the existing setup is incorrect due to the sink and standpipe arrangement and inadequate venting. Having said that, we have no issues with the day to day operation of the bathroom or laundry, and the proposed plan does remove this problem. Of course, this could all be a HUGE hot mess and require a complete do over, I’m sure someone will let me know if that is the case.

I’ve tried to be as detailed a possible in the two attached diagrams, with additional explanations below if necessary. Written explanations always make things seem more complicated, but if you look at the diagrams it should be relatively straightforward.

A) LAUNDRY STANDPIPE:

Move standpipe to other side of 3” stack (@ Location D), and tie in ABOVE the connection for the sink (w/ proposed double vanity sinks, new 1.5” vent @L, and w/cleanout @F). Thus ensuring the standpipe is dry vented to roof via existing 3” vent, and sinks are not wet vented with a laundry standpipe. Laundry trap arm will be <2’ and sink trap arm will be <4’ to cleanout. I will have a question about the height of the standpipe as the washing machine will be raised up on a pedestal. But I’ll save that till after the general acceptance of the overall proposed changes.

B) TOILET RELOCATION:

Connect additional 3” drain line (@A) for new toilet. Add 2” vent for toilet (@H) and tie in to existing vent connections, but increase entire vent line to 2” (@J) before connecting to existing 3” roof vent (@E, ensure above flood level of sinks). Also install cleanup at end of new toilet drain line where it changes direction within existing bulkhead (@C). Cap existing 3” toilet drain (@B). New 3” toilet drain line will be ~3’ N-S and 5’ E-W.

C) BATHTUB RELOCATION:

Tie new 2” bathtub drain (@K) into the new 3” toilet drain detailed above. Run new 1.5” vent (@I) for bathtub and tie into the new 2” vent (@G, ensure above flood level of bathtub) for toilet also detailed above. For space & simplicity, if there is a more efficient way to vent this, with the bathtub and toilet sharing a single 2” vent the entire way, I’d like to hear it. Bathtub trap arm will be <2’.

Note: The existing drain for the bathtub *could* technically remain in place as-is, but due to some “masterful” butchery of some key floor joists, I’d like to move it as proposed, so I can do structural repairs.

Any comments and recommendations are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Existing DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    Existing DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 308
  • Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice pictures.

If you increase G-I to 2 inch, you could omit G-H.

There is probably a problem with your proposed double sinks venting. I can't be sure, because Ontario code has different rules on some things. There are ways that would be allowed everywhere. I am not a plumber.

riverdale

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, I tried my best with the drawings as I know a picture is worth a 1000 words. It certainly seems far less complicated seeing the diagram versus the full text explanation.

I kinda figured the standpipe/sink might be a sticking point, but with them now both being dry vents, and discharging into a 3” drain, I was hoping that would be permitted. We’ll have to wait and see what others have to say.

Thanks for the heads up on the simplification of the new toilet and tub vent, I was hoping it would be something simple like that!

riverdale

Reaction score
I did have double lines for the walls, but admittedly they did not really stand out. I’ve shaded the walls lightly in green, so hopefully they are easier to distinguish now. I’ve also added the vent lines and the corresponding connection location identifiers (@A, B, C…) in blue.

I’ve added all the vent lines, in the locations I first proposed, thus G-I is still shown at 1.5” and G-H is still there at 2”. Increasing G-I to 2” and removing G-H entirely has been suggested above by Reach4, but I’ve left it as is just to prevent the diagrams getting confusing as modifications are suggested.

As far as the ISO not matching the floor plans…I’m thinking you’re referring to the washer standpipe sticking straight out of the wall (to the North) in the ISO? The floor plan shows it correctly, within the wall running to the west. My apologies, I had drawn the ISO first and didn’t want the standpipe crowding the diagram near where the old toilet will be capped (@B). Other than that, I *think* it is correct, but if something still seems off, please let me know.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry Floor Plan Revised.jpg
    Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry Floor Plan Revised.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 261

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like your drawing depicts the vents for the shower and the drain run under the floor, if that's correct it's not allowed in the U.S. I don't know about where you are, if it is allowed then your drawing is probably OK, if not then my idea might be a better option if you can manage it. in theory it would work but I can't see every obstacle that you can. it will at least give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    Proposed DWV Bathroom & Laundry.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 289

riverdale

Reaction score
It looks like your drawing depicts the vents for the shower and the drain run under the floor, if that's correct it's not allowed in the U.S. I don't know about where you are, if it is allowed then your drawing is probably OK, if not then my idea might be a better option if you can manage it. in theory it would work but I can't see every obstacle that you can. it will at least give you some ideas.

Hey James, thank you for your input.

The vents will not run under the floor for any significant distances. Only enough to connect to the drain pipes and then a short horizontal run to a portion below the 2"x6" wall and then vertically all the way up through that. They do look under the floor on the floor plan as I don't know how to show a vertical vent on a horizontal piece of paper. I was hoping the ISO drawings would show the horizontal and vertical arrangement more accurately, so my apologies if this wasn't clear.

As far as obstacles go, you're correct...the old school floor joists (true 2" x 8") run East - West. By extending the 3" drain (@Loc A - C) for the new tub and toilet connections, I can run the pipe horizontally within the bulkhead above the kitchen cabinets. Then up into the joist space (@Loc C - K) and run parallel to them, over to the tub and toilet connections. This way I don't have to go through any more joists, they're already butchered enough!

riverdale

Reaction score
Plumber 69...

OK, easy enough to move the vent for the two sinks into the middle of the two drains, that I can do, NP.

Not sure what you mean by "put laundry last". It needs to be on the WEST side of the 3" roof vent stack, whereas the double sinks are on the EAST side of the 3" stack. However, I can easily add a separate vent closer to the standpipe trap if that's a code requirement, although the trap arm will be less than 2'. I was under the assumption that connecting the standpipe trap arm (@Loc D) to the 3" stack, this is dry vented to the roof and would be more than adequate. The critical point here being that the standpipe connects to the stack ABOVE the sink's connection to the stack.

riverdale

Reaction score
Last edited:

riverdale

Reaction score
OK James, I might have to go with Plumber69’s vent solution for the double sinks. That removes any difficulties in getting the elusive double fixture fitting.

Just to confirm....Since nothing else drains into the main 3” stack ABOVE the laundry standpipe, am I correct in thinking you're both OK with the 2” laundry standpipe draining directly (w/~2’ trap arm) into the main 3” stack and being dry vented that way?

I do have a further question about the standpipe, related to its height, since the washer will be on a standard 14” high pedestal. Not sure how to get the top opening high enough (~56-58”) to remain “accessible” and above the flood level of the machine, while staying within the trap and standpipe height rules. However, I will do a search here and what’s been discussed before. If I can’t work it out, I will post a new thread.

Thank you both again for your input. Much appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks