Propane Water Heater - No temp control

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad Anesi

DPDISXR4Ti
Reaction score
Investigating a problem with my Dad's water heater (DHW only). Even after moving the thermostat to "Low", and then "Vac", and then finally to "Pilot", the water was still too hot. Note, this was done over the course of three weeks - I realize the water is not going to drop in temperature immediately. As a test, I finally turned it to "Off" and only then did I get room temperature water after two days.

Am I correct in assuming the Honeywell thermostat needs to be replaced? Any other tests I should do to verify? The light flashes suggest everything is fine.

Where do find a part# on this thing?

Attachments

• 20230717_140743.jpg
    20230717_140743.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 63

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
From your questions, get a heating/cooling/plumbing company to do the replacement. Don't mess with gas if you never did any piping before. The gas valve maybe the same for propane and NG, but most are set for NG. You have to know how to convert it to propane.
As Breplum suggest, replace the WH if it well over its life span. Gas WH generally over 10 years old replace it. Newer tanks are more efficient with better jacket insulation. Gas WH's do build up minerals at the bottom and act as an insulation that inhibits heat transfer to the water. If you hear gurgling, it's mineral deposits.

Brad Anesi

DPDISXR4Ti
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's got an install date of 2017, so very close on the warranty. Is labor usually included with the warranty? It was installed by a reputable plumber.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It's got an install date of 2017, so very close on the warranty. Is labor usually included with the warranty? It was installed by a reputable plumber.
Labor is usually one year. The plumber would need the tank serial number to learn if it under warranty from the manufacture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks