Problem with GE watersoftener

Users who are viewing this thread

largeformat

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my GE watersoftener GXSF40H03. In the morning after nights when it had recharged, the blue light is blinking and it shows an Error 01 which should mean:

1) Motor inoperative
2) Wiring harness connection to switch
3) Position Switch
4) Control

The motor is working fine and it's turning the cam. The position switch tests OK.

Here's what I've done:

Checked for salt bridge. There is no salt bridge and you can hear and see salt going down during fill cycle.

I disassembled and cleaned the venturi being careful to put all parts in correctly (nozzles, screens, etc.)

I made sure the motor is working and it's turning the cam. The motor is fine.

The switch that the cam operates is working. I noticed that when the cam operates the switch, at some cam lobes it closes the circuit momentarily and then opens it after a second or two. I'm guessing that that's sending a signal to the control unit. At other points on the cam, the circuit will close and stay closed until the next lobe of the cam is reached or it drops off the lobe. This is probably normal but I thought I'd mention it.

I checked that water flow is registering - turbine is turning and sensor is picking it up and showing it on the water flow indicator.

I ran it through the operating steps manually using the procedure shown in the owner's manual. Everthing appeared to work properly. The procedure is called "Manually Initiated Electronics Diagnostics" in the manual.

I ran it through another manual test called "Manually Advance Recharge Check" and everything checked out OK.

When I disconnect the power for a few minutes and then plug it back in, the light still blinks as the motor turns the cam for about a minute or so, then the light stops blinking. (The manual says this is normal when an error occurs - that is, the motor will run for a minute or two to get the cam in the starting position. Apparently, when the error occurs, the cam stops, leaving it in the wrong position.

One thing I noticed is that when the final rinse (down flow - last step) is running, the water flow is steady but I seem to remember it being a stronger flow in the past although I may be thinking of a different water softener that I had. But I seem to remember a very strong water flow for that stage. In fact, I seem to remember a stronger water flow for the backwash step too. To give an idea an idea of what I mean, I would guess that those steps cause a flow that would take about 15 seconds to fill an 8 oz glass but that's just a guess.

Here's the weird part: I've started recharge two or three times manually and it finished without an error. It has only failed when it is started automatically at night. Every time it automatically recharges at night, I find that the blue error light is blinking, an Error 01 is showing, and I can hear a gentle flow of water in the unit.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. The unit is about four years old and I hate to replace it when the problem is probably something simple that I'm just missing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks