pressure tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

mrbb

Reaction score
OK I am going to have my pressure tank replaced and have a question about the tanks
the tank I have now has no information on it, but guessing by size, its either a 20 or a 26 gallon tank
so my question is, does it make a difference really in if I use a 20 or a 26 gallon tank to replace it
will there be any pressure loss if I use a 20 gallon tank, and turns out the one I had was a 26 gallon tank?
I have been told by a few folks that size of tank doesn't matter on how much pressure, but? don't know
I have a pressure washer I have been using on the set up I have now, and don't want to loose any pressure if I get a smaller tank, or any loss of shower water pressure either
the plumber I am going to use, doesn't carry 26 gallon tanks, and is pushing me to just use a 20 gallon, and the 20 is a bunch cheaper too
so?
will a smaller tank be a noticable loss of pressure or not?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The size of the tank has nothing to do with the pressure. The size affects the cycle times. Shorter, more frequent cycling will shorten the pump's life.

mrbb

Reaction score
thank you, will there really be muc of a difference then between a 20 and a 26 gallon tank?
the price I was told is about a 125-150 bucks more for the bigger tank?

mrbb

Reaction score
thanks again for that link, BUT I have no idea what the pump rate is on this pump, its been theer befor I got the place so?
I was looking on presure tank sites and sen they show different rates
as below
Drawdown @(30-50 PSI) 6.8 Gallons
Drawdown @(40-60 PSI) 5.9 Gallons

these are just an exapmle, but seen that there was a difference between tank sizes
so didn't know if that had anything to do with water pressure coming out of shower or such
also don't know what my current pressre is going in/out
as there ius no gauge on my system(its a hunting camp )

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The reason your tank is bad is because the cycling on/off all the time has broken the bladder like when you bend a wire back and forth until it breaks. In the old days the larger the tank the fewer times the bladder bends back and forth.

Installers who keep up with technology know there are now ways to Stop the Cycling using a Cycle Stop Valve, then all you need is a 4.5 gallon size tank. Pressure will be much better with a CSV and a small tank, because cycling on and off is what makes the pressure seem low.

A bad bladder in the tank is just the first sign of too much cycling. Next it will get the motor, pressure switch, check valves, or just torque enough times to chaff the wire in the well.

In my opinion any of those tanks you mentioned are way too small when not used with a Cycle Stop Valve. If you want a quick patch, any size tank will do. If you want to solve the problem that causes all these failures, a CSV will do that and works with any size tank.

Your installer either doesn’t want to use a CSV or has never heard of one because it is considered a disruptive product. It is disruptive because it makes pumps last longer and uses smaller pressure tanks. CSV’s have been extending the life of pump systems for 22 years, which is why you have to find out about things like this yourself. Nobody else wants you to know about these.

mrbb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and all the info
the reason I am replacing my tank is due to its age, and its rusting out, tank is well past 20 plus yrs old now and still working, just have rust inside the tank
so I think all I need is a new tank
I will ask the plumber about a CSV, and if he can add one, as I gather that will only help me
any idea on what one will cost?

mrbb

Reaction score
Again thanks, I will see what he says, and I will forward him the link too
but to be honest, since this is a hunting cabin, and the old one has lasted so long, I'm not sure its really needed?
I hear you on it helping the pump to last longer, and the smaller tank, but the tank now isn't so big really, and the system has worked great for 25 plus yrs as is?
but will ask him, and if he has them to install one, while he is at it

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
the system has worked great for 25 plus yrs as is?

Yeah well they don't make pumps like they did 25 years ago. So you need all the advantages you can get to make it last. There were too many of them lasting 25 years, so they shortened and cheapened them up for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks