Pressure tank (maybe switch) failure

Users who are viewing this thread

H22lude

Reaction score
Ok, I'll leave that alone for now. I still need to figure out why the tank bladder ruptured so early. Could it be from the low pH?

H22lude

Reaction score
And what would cause it to cycle so much? The flow is so low that I would think it would be possible to cycle it too much. Could the previous owner have done something to cause it to cycle too much (like run sprinklers 18 hours every day?)

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, I'll leave that alone for now. I still need to figure out why the tank bladder ruptured so early.
Another contributor could have been that the previous owner let the air precharge get very low, maximizing the diaphragm stretching.
Could the previous owner have done something to cause it to cycle too much (like run sprinklers 18 hours every day?)
Only in the summer maybe, constant irrigation at 4 gpm.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is the small flow rates that cause cycling. Since your well only makes 4 GPM, running a 7-10 GPM pump causes lots of cycling. Without a CSV the only way to water and not pump the well dry was to let it cycle on and off. Everything in a pump system is destroyed by cycling. The tank diaphragm is just one of the first to show.

H22lude

Reaction score
Another contributor could have been that the previous owner let the air precharge get very low, maximizing the diaphragm stretching.

Only in the summer maybe, constant irrigation at 4 gpm.

The house was built in 2012. I bought it in 2018. When I checked the precharge after moving in, it was very low, around 20psi. They didn't do any simple maintenance on the house when they lived here so I'm not surprised.

He did run sprinklers a lot too.

I'll keep up on the precharge to make sure this one lasts longer

H22lude

Reaction score
It is the small flow rates that cause cycling. Since your well only makes 4 GPM, running a 7-10 GPM pump causes lots of cycling. Without a CSV the only way to water and not pump the well dry was to let it cycle on and off. Everything in a pump system is destroyed by cycling. The tank diaphragm is just one of the first to show.

Since a CSV isn't the best for my house, a larger pressure tank would help elevate the constant cycling?

H22lude

Reaction score
Unless it physically will not fit, I always install a FL25 tank.

The previous owners tried to redo the basement themselves. He did an awful job. But long story short, he walled in the pressure tank into a corner with an opening on one side. I'd have to measure it to see what would fit. I can take down some of the walls. I just don't know how that would affect the drop ceiling. Might have to look into that tonight. I don't think it would be too hard. Would rather do that and put in the right size tank.

H22lude

Reaction score
I'll see what they have when they come tomorrow. Connecting the larger tanks to the smaller piping shouldn't be an issue?

H22lude

Reaction score
You can connect the tank to any size pipe. If you can't get a big tank through the door then two or more smaller tanks can be manifolded together.

They just left. They didn't have any FL22s in stock so he is coming back Monday. They are also installing soda ash because our pH is about 5.5. I'm just going to cut the wall down

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks