Pressure switch Kick-On point

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
well, glad i swapped the fittings, they were clogged with a lot of corrosion. upped the pressure switch. definitely helped the house pressure

upped the pressure switch. Tried first zone, went great for a minute or two then pressure went down to 20 psi. Tried another zone and it worked great the whole time. Went thru the other 5 zones and all were either at 20 or started ok and then went down.

Reach4

Reaction score
well, glad i swapped the fittings, they were clogged with a lot of corrosion.
Clogged with rust or other orange obstruction? Plastic fittings, brass, or galvanized?

upped the pressure switch. Tried first zone, went great for a minute or two then pressure went down to 20 psi.
As indicated by the gauge at the pressure tank?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like the pressure tank is supplementing the flow initially, but the well+pump+pipe is only delivering enough volume (gpm) to maintain 20 psi.

So is this a clogged piping system? Seems likely, to it could be a weak pump. Any galvanized you replace should be with plastic, stainless, brass, or bronze. Avoid plastic female threads.

Lower-output emitters should help for a while.

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Zones 1-4 (4 impact heads each zone) - low pressure ~20 psi (odd since these worked previous years)
Zone 5 (2 heads; 1 impact 1 mister) - fine
Zone 6 (3 impact heads) - fine ~45 psi
Zone 7 (1 gear; 2 impact; 3 misters) - ok ~30 psi

I'm going to replace the pressure tank today hopefully and order some lower flow nozzles

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a leak after the zone valve for 1-4.

yes, you mentioned that before and as I mentioned, there's no signs of a leak. I walked the zones with them running and didn't notice any soft spots or water on the surface. Valve area is dry as well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Depending on the formation of the area, a leak can go down instead of up and not be seen for a long time if ever. Could also just be the sprinkler nozzles are washed out and letting through too much flow. Might try measuring the sprinkler volume in a bucket and add them together. If there is not enough flow coming through the sprinklers, it is going somewhere. Won't find the leak but may confirm it.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Had the well guy out and he found the issue. Had a lot of debris in the elbow leading up to the switch. He's the one who installed the pump a couple years ago and said the pump is capable of 10-13gpm easily.

So, I'll swap out the fittings around the switch and see what happens.

Thanks!

You need a new pump man.

If the pump is running steady and HOLDING 25 psi like you said (and you are experiencing less than normal flow)...the switch, the nipple to the switch, the settings of the switch, the tank, the filters, and the precharge on the tank HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PROBLEM. With exception of the filter, everything else I mentioned all works together to CYCLE the pump from on to off.

You have either, a leak somewhere (could be in the drop pipe), a worn out pump that is off in capacity, a lowered water level in the well, or a restriction in the line somewhere. It really could be nothing else.

Bannerman

Reaction score
4 different valves.
So when you say 20 psi, to confirm, that is while running only 1 of those zones at 1 time? Each zone is then resulting in an identical pressure drop?

By the manner in which they had been listed, it appears I (& I suspect others) had mistakenly understood zones 1-4 were controlled by 1 valve so all 4 were operating at the same time.

Last edited:

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Each zone is operated by it's own valve. Zone 1 runs and once it finishes then Zone 2 starts (separate valve), then zone 3 and so on. Each zone has it's own valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks