Pressure elbow in place of DWV fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
We're running water and drain between out house and a detached garage. The drain entails a 2" waste line from the garage to tie into existing house drain.
It's real simple, the pipe-run is only about 12'-13'; starting in the house --> thru the house foundation --> trench --> thru garage foundation --> elbow up --> through the floor. The concrete floor was cut open and and a trench between the house was dug for the 2" pipe. The problem as I see it, is that the plumber used a 2" pressure elbow under the garage floor to move from vertical to horizontal. Is there ever an application where a pressure elbow is used in place of a DWV elbow is correct? I think drain flow, clogs, and the difficulty to clear clogs are all going to issues in the future.
The concrete has already been poured and I guess I'm looking for a reason to not cut open the garage floor again.
TIA
Elbow.jpg

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Follow up: VT is under IPC code. It looks like short sweep 90 is allowable on 2" or less pipe size. Pressure 90 looks about the same as a short 90. Doesn't seem like a good idea though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess its a sink in garage itll probebly be ok make sure you have a good clean out, at least smack that plumber upside the head though

Reach4

Reaction score
Follow up: VT is under IPC code. It looks like short sweep 90 is allowable on 2" or less pipe size. Pressure 90 looks about the same as a short 90. Doesn't seem like a good idea though.
Weird. What do you suppose Xa,b means? 2-1/2 inch pipe is pretty rare.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 1/2 pvc pressure pipe isnt that uncommon see it on many swiming pools why are we talking about 2 1/2"
Just looking at his photo the pvc looks like 1 1/2" but I assume he is talking about the smaller and take his word that its 2 inch

Reach4

Reaction score
2 1/2 pvc pressure pipe isnt that uncommon see it on many swiming pools why are we talking about 2 1/2"
Just looking at his photo the pvc looks like 1 1/2" but I assume he is talking about the smaller and take his word that its 2 inch
Look at the "digital codes" link in #4. That has TABLE 706.3FITTINGS FOR CHANGE IN DIRECTION, and in that table, X means allowed. But some X's have superscript.

For the X in Short Sweep row and "vertical to horizontal" column, the X has superscripts a and b.

a.The fittings shall only be permitted for a 2-inch or smaller fixture drain.

b.Three inches or larger.

Soooo.... it looks to me as if that short bend is allowed if the fitting is (2 inch or less) OR (it is 3 inch or larger). So only 2.5 would be excluded.

I know there must be another explanation, because that table has been around for a long time. Any thought as to what Xa,b is trying to indicate?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Soooo.... it looks to me as if that short bend is allowed if the fitting is (2 inch or less) OR (it is 3 inch or larger). So only 2.5 would be excluded.
No, the 2" allowance is for a fixture drain only. That's a drain carrying only one fixture. So it has to be 3" or larger, or only carrying one fixture.

Regardless, I doubt that a pressure elbow has even the radius necessary for a DWV quarter bend. So the proper solution for the OP is to open up the concrete.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
No, the 2" allowance is for a fixture drain only. That's a drain carrying only one fixture. So it has to be 3" or larger, or only carrying one fixture.
Thanks. That make sense. I think the bend is only serving one fixture.

But the quarter bend thing still looms. And I would feel better with a longer bend. A cleanout above could be helpful if trying to live with the pressure fitting. The danger of a too-sharp of a turn is clogging.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of cource the right thing to do is rip it out . its totally illegal everyone I think knows that. question is what do you want to do? You really think its going to plug up and be impossible to clear ? if you do then jackhammer floor now or later

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will just create problems down the road and be more problematic to fix later than sooner.

Replace it with a proper long sweep now and never think of it again.

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
Thanks all, the upsetting part is that I had this conversation with him before he did any work. He understood that I wanted a long 90 and the reason why. I don't know if he thought I wouldn't check and the pressure 90s are all he had in the truck or what.
Another issue is that this was to be sleeved (pipe in a pipe) since the proximity to the well is very close... that wasn't done either.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will just create problems down the road and be more problematic to fix later than sooner.

Replace it with a proper long sweep now and never think of it again.
depends whats going down the sink and whats built around it but no argument its total hack work if its just a matter of telling a guy to fix it Id speak up for sure\. We see what some peoples drains are like plugged with grease and others are clear its lifestyle that matters too

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
True, but it's not just for me... it's for the future owners of my house. I'd hate to bequeath a known plumbing problem to the next owners.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea i wouldnt want to pass it on either im no certain like others that youll have problems but its bad work a 1/4 bend medium sweep id leave but not that

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Agree Though I think one has a certain amount of right to live in sub standard housing , passing it on to another is wrong . A small hole in a garage floor is not the worst I seen , too me burying old galvinized in walls is as bad or worse and thats not a code violation. house flippers and cheap remodlers do shortcuts not caring about the next guy

Clutchcargo

Reaction score
I love the fact that there are no building permits in Vermont as long as you you are not building a new structure (at least in my town). I hate that there are no inspections however. Less than good hired plumbers can do shoddy work.
I stand by my mantra, "If you want it done right ..."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks