polybutelyne to pex

Users who are viewing this thread

paappraiser

Reaction score
Im redoing my bathroom and im getting the poly out in my house. I have to do 1/2 the house at a time (to get the poly out).

The poly is from 87.
I have some of the stick it in the end. Not shark bite but some generic type. adaptors for the poly to pex.

Do you see any problem with the poly/pex crimp conectors? I just dont wanna touch the poly as little as possible. It spooks me out.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Borrowed info:

PEX to Polybutylene

As mentioned in the beginning of this chapter, pex is polybutylene’s replacement. Once only available in clear or white, pex can now be found in a variety of colors including red, blue, white and clear. Because so many manufactured homes still contain the gray polybutylene, repairs are still necessary. Since parts for polybutylene systems are no longer available, repairs have to be made using pex. The repairs are simple, you just have to remember that anytime you connect pex to polybutylene, you need a ‘pex to polybutylene’ adapter (pictured right) available anywhere pex fittings are sold. In the adapter kit, the gold ring is used on the gray polybutylene line and the black ring is used on the white pex line. Besides being a different diameter, the polybutylene side of the fitting contains a lot more rings than the pex side. Do not use a regular ‘pex to pex’ coupler as the inside diameter of polybutylene is larger.

In the photo to the right, the top coupler is a ‘pex to pex’ adapter. The bottom coupler is a ‘pex to polybutylene’ adapter. On the right side of the pex to polybutylene adapter is the polybutylene connection. Notice how its thicker and the ring spacing is tighter.

water.JPG

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The same size PB, copper, CPVC, PEX and galvanized can all be connected together with QEST gray plastic compression fittings, or I suspect Shark bite fittings too. I.E. 3/4" PB to 3/4" galvanized to copper to CPVC to PEX and back to the PB.

You can also get tees, valves, male and female adapters and various reducing couplers, tees etc..

Construct30

Reaction score
I have used a lot of the PB to PEX adapters that Zurn makes in the crimp style. They work fine. The PB is harder to cut than PEX. Make sure to put the correct side of the fitting on the PB. Compare the PEX side to the other PEX fittings, also put the correct ring on the PB. They work fine.

Mark

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks