Plumber billing question...

Users who are viewing this thread

lekawa

Reaction score
I received a bid of $5200 to complete plumbing rough-in and installation of the following fixtures in a new small kitchen and bath addition

purchased by me:
1 bathtub, valve and trim...
1 toilet...
2 sinks...and faucets
1 garbage disposer

Plumber provides and installs:
1 water heater
washer hookup
frost free hose bib

He has just completed the rough-in...which took one day (2 guys) and is billing me $4500 of the $5200 bid.

I can't see any reason why he would come back and finish the job if I pay him over 85% of the bid amount for completing what seems to me to be (roughly 1/2?) of the work agreed to.

I'm very tempted to send him a check for $2600 with no explanation to match his invoice that included no explanation. But wanted to run it by a few others first.

Am I missing something?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
80 percent rough 20 percent for finish kind of standard sometimes 70 rough 20 finish 10 retention. but 700 for setting finish including purchase of w/h not a big moneymaker.
I belive 80 , 20 is a bit high but that is how Ive always done it . If someone did that to me only paying half. It would change the relationship and any of the owner provided materials I wouldnt make as much effort to make work little problems would become your to deal with drips from faucets or material defect. Id still warranty my work and perform my duty. I think 38 or 4k would be fair Iwould talk to him

Reach4

Reaction score
Bathtub trim 1 hour
sink with Garborator 1.5 hour
other sink 1 hour
toilet 1 hour
material say 200
Thats equals about 800 to finish job
How about installing the tub, water heater, and hose bibb?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bathtub trim 1 hour
sink with Garborator 1.5 hour
other sink 1 hour
toilet 1 hour
material say 200
Thats equals about 800 to finish job

800 sounds like plenty for those things If waterheater was already purchased and installed. My standard would be 80 percent of 5200 so my bill would be 4160 and its not a negotiation in most cases. but to only pay half really rubs me wrong especially with no discussion .
The reason I go back to set finish is because I said I was going to do the job its nothing to do with whats left in the contract.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would think the tub is already installed.

Me too but if its not a builder tub and its a free standing, or a self rimming that still needs installing then I would totaly agree that to leave only 700 dollars in contract would be lopsided , Set tub install tubvalve water heater purchase and install , lav , toilet , kitchen sink etc etc . Could be a lot of senarios . but the tub and waterheater could be factors that would make me adjust my progress payment

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks