PEX repipe- slab leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Basod

Reaction score
Sweated plenty of copper and wish I could repipe with it but unfortunately not happening. This will be my first PEX job and am using Uponor A. I have a cold water slab leak with fittings under the slab- no loop setup- everything was 1/2” copper cold and hot supply’s.

I have my main trunk and most of the replacement branches opened and ready to drill holes- fortunately access from eve space 2 story Cape on a well.

Question 1: PEX does not tolerate UV so in my main supply utility/laundry with a window I should probably stay 3/4” copper and swap to PEX in the overhead joists- thought it might be easier to just cut in the PEX off the well receiver.

Question 2: Master bath and half bath abutt each other and currently share all cold and hot 1/2” copper supply- does it make sense to run 3/4” branches and preserve the above grade copper to limit a full remodel as one of these baths is already remodeled.

Master downstairs that adjoins the half bath has toilet and sink on opposite wall planned on 1/2” to the hot and should I run 3/4 to the sink/toilet then drop to 1/2” or is 1/2” from the end of 3/4” enough.

Basod

Reaction score
Sweated plenty of copper and wish I could repipe with it but unfortunately not happening. This will be my first PEX job and am using Upunor A. I have a cold water slab leak with fittings under the slab- no loop setup- everything was 1/2” copper cold and hot supply’s.

I have my main trunk and most of the replacement branches opened and ready to drill holes- fortunately access from eve space 2 story Cape on a well.

Question 1: PEX does not tolerate UV so in my main supply utility/laundry with a window I should probably stay 3/4” copper and swap to PEX in the overhead joists- thought it might be easier to just cut in the PEX off the well receiver.

Question 2: Master bath and half bath abutt each other and currently share all cold and hot 1/2” copper supply- does it make sense to run 3/4” branches and preserve the above grade copper to limit a full remodel as one of these baths is already remodeled.

Master downstairs that adjoins the half bath has toilet and sink on opposite wall planned on 1/2” to the hot and should I run 3/4 to the sink/toilet then drop to 1/2” or is 1/2” from the end of 3/4” enough.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run two fixtures on 1/2" PEX, so for the hot side you're good on a bathroom. For the cold because you're adding the toilet, that should be 3/4".
You can cover the PEX with pipe insulation if you're protecting it from UV.

Basod

Reaction score
Thanks for info Terry- and for cleaning up my multiple posts.
Planning all the main trunks in 3/4” with 3/4” drop to master shower, 1/2 bath sink and toilet, then run 1/2” hot to master sink and 3/4 cold to master sink and toilet keeping above grade copper on those.

3/4” tees will hit a 3/4x1/2x1/2 for kitchen sink and washing machine and both those 3/4” will continue to upstairs full bath tied into existing 1/2” copper until a future remodel. The 1/2” feeds come up under the staircase and cold branch to the ice maker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks