Pentair Control Box

Users who are viewing this thread

AnaRon

Reaction score
Replacing the F&W pump with a new F&W 4F19A10-301 pump. I have a brand new FP217-812-P2 Pentair control box. Will it work on this pump. Pentair cannot tell me if it will.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Replacing the F&W pump with a new F&W 4F19A10-301 pump. I have a brand new FP217-812-P2 Pentair control box. Will it work on this pump. Pentair cannot tell me if it will.

You should ask F&W if there motor is compatible with a Franklin or Pentair box. I would think they are but still need to ask.

AnaRon

Reaction score
Finally got a response from Franklin and they said "The control box is an electrical part of the motor. The motor and control box together get UL Approval so boxes and motors from different manufacturers should not be mixed. The Pentair box usually fails early because it is not designed to run a Franklin Motor. The Franklin Warranty on the motor is also void if used on anything but a Franklin Control Box". Just does not make sense to me but then I know very little about them. Just did not want to waste a new controller.

Reach4

Reaction score
Finally got a response from Franklin and they said "The control box is an electrical part of the motor. The motor and control box together get UL Approval so boxes and motors from different manufacturers should not be mixed. The Pentair box usually fails early because it is not designed to run a Franklin Motor. The Franklin Warranty on the motor is also void if used on anything but a Franklin Control Box". Just does not make sense to me but then I know very little about them. Just did not want to waste a new controller.
Are you saying that your pump has a Franklin motor? https://www.zoro.com/search?q=franklin control lists the standard 1-HP box as out of stock. They appear to have the CSR/CSCR version available. That means there is a run capacitor in addition to the start capacitor.

https://www.zoro.com/franklin-elect...-1phase-2824085015/i/G0405212/#specifications That draws about the same current during start as a standard box, but uses a little less power while running.

I might compare the winding resistances for the Faradyne/Pentair motor, and assuming they are similar, use the box you have. I am not a pro.

https://www.flintandwalling.com/content/literature/sales/FW1674-FW-4-in-Sub-Catalog-DWSM-BStd.pdf is the F&W 4-inch pump info.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Yeah that is bull crap! Franklin just wants you to use only their products. A motor is a motor. As long as the winding resistance is similar it will work. I use to install Franklin motor where there was an old Reda control box. Very dissimilar motors but just switch the red and yellow wire and it would work just fine. I don't think Pentair, Goulds, or Franklin motors are even different enough to have swapped the start winding color. You don't have to bring in the Franklin control box when asking for a motor warranty, so I don't know how they would even know.

F&W has a new motor of their own and no longer use Franklin I think. Which is probably whey Franklin is saying those things. Lol! I don't know why you would ask Franklin about a Pentair box on a F&W motor? It is up to F&W if it will work and it they will warranty the motor.

AnaRon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
valveman you seem to be correct as to F&W or Franklin motor. Dealer told me it had Franklin but F&W says they only use F&W motors ie "4" Cast Iron Captain Plus Series. Motor: ½ thru 2 HP, 1 PH pumps feature Flint & Walling motors. They just specify a control box must be used and does not state what control box. Ya'll pretty much confirmed what I thought. Will use the Pentair box. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks