P-Trap directly below bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott271

Reaction score
Does code require a ptrap have to be directly below a bathroom sink or can i have a 90 degree bend under the sink to take the water next to the wall, and then have another 90 degree (down) and have a ptrap there before it goes into the waste inlet pipe in the wall? I want to be able to use drawers in my bathroom vanity and I have vessel sinks on top. I included a picture if case that helps. This is similar to the IKEA cabinet that takes the wastewater to the wall.

Thanks for your help!
Scott

IMG_2061.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
No, to your question.

However you do need to slope the trap arm slightly downhill toward the wall. It may be an illusion, but it looks like your trap arm slopes up as it goes to the wall.

For more discussions of dealing with the drawer thing, try ikea sink or ikea drawers as a search term in the search box above.

That accordion pipe is certainly frowned upon by most.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, you can 90 over close to the wall. Right now I see the p-trap sagging downward though, and I would love to see the accordion extension replaced with solid wall instead of the pleats.

ada-lav-drain-with-90.jpg

They install these on ADA sinks to make more room for wheel chairs.

Scott271

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I'll fix the accordion and the sagging ptrap.
Yes, you can 90 over close to the wall. Right now I see the p-trap sagging downward though, and I would love to see the accordion extension replaced with solid wall instead of the pleats.

They install these on ADA sinks to make more room for wheel chairs.

Scott271

Reaction score
No, to your question.

However you do need to slope the trap arm slightly downhill toward the wall. It may be an illusion, but it looks like your trap arm slopes up as it goes to the wall.

For more discussions of dealing with the drawer thing, try ikea sink or ikea drawers as a search term in the search box above.

That accordion pipe is certainly frowned upon by most.
Thanks Reach! I'll fix it up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get rid of the 45 all together. Cut some of those sections down and yes get rid of the flex