P-Trap configuration - 45 deg angle from trap arm to wall waste outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

panampefa

Reaction score
Hi ... Can this 45 deg. addition be added (or is it proper) for the waste drain of a bathroom sink. The sink is a vessel sink and I'm trying to keep the p-trap as high as possible for more usable space below the sink inside the vanity.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 074334.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 074334.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 98

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is ok to offset. Factor how much more difficult it will be to snake out in the future by possibly putting a easy to disconnect joint at the tee. Better: a cleanout on the drain in the wall. I've not seen myself at supply house but they make slip joint offsets. Those typically are not code but who cares?
white-the-plumber-s-choice-polypropylene-fittings-22212p-64_100.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Breplum took your drawing to be horizontal, but I am taking it to be vertical.

In which case no, you may not put a vertical offset in the trap arm. The vent takeoff, which is within the wall, must be within one pipe diameter of elevation of the trap outlet.

Cheers, Wayne

panampefa

Reaction score
OK ... yes I was speaking of the vertical offset..
So this is not kosher? (image)
Is it a code thing or a vacuum or sewer gas thing?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 124802.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 124802.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 111

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi ... Can this 45 deg. addition be added (or is it proper) for the waste drain of a bathroom sink. The sink is a vessel sink and I'm trying to keep the p-trap as high as possible for more usable space below the sink inside the vanity.
Put the P-trap low, but have it hug the wall. Then use handicapped drain slip joint tubing to run the drainage over by the wall and drop into the trap. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/ikea-plumbing.53028/ #4 and #7. Will your vessel sink have an overflow?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks