P-Trap Adapter Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
Hi All.

The p-trap adapter was leaking. I hand tightened it, which seemed to stop the leak. But the threads are still damp.

What is the correct fix?

Attachments

• 20230811_004834.jpg
    20230811_004834.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230811_004831.jpg
    20230811_004831.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 91

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You're find. Hand tightened is usually enough. If you find the slipe joints loosen, use a pair of channel lock pliers and very slightly tighten it. Just note there is no pressure in a drain line to force a leak. It is all by gravity. Use a paper towel to dry it down.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Is the pipe going into the wall only 1/4 inch/ft slope toward the wall? It should be. It may be an optical illusion from the photos that the slope is steeper than that. It looks like you did not want to cut a clearance hole in the bottom of the cabinet that would let the U of the trap go beneath the level of that bottom.

It looks like your trap is glued. It may be that your glued trap causes your trap to have sideways stress on those threads, preventing the threaded joint from making a good seal.

What would have been better is to have a trap adapter at the wall, and to use a slip joint trap. And to make a slot to clear the U of the trap if needed.

It is possible that a plumber could use a special tool to install a trap adapter, letting you switch to a slip joint trap.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. In your pic it looks like the tailstock is cocked or the trap is crooked. It should slide together with no pressure/tension. Are the gaskets in good condition?

Sid.Santo

Reaction score
1. Is the pipe going into the wall only 1/4 inch/ft slope toward the wall? It should be. It may be an optical illusion from the photos that the slope is steeper than that. It looks like you did not want to cut a clearance hole in the bottom of the cabinet that would let the U of the trap go beneath the level of that bottom.

It looks like your trap is glued. It may be that your glued trap causes your trap to have sideways stress on those threads, preventing the threaded joint from making a good seal.

What would have been better is to have a trap adapter at the wall, and to use a slip joint trap. And to make a slot to clear the U of the trap if needed.

It is possible that a plumber could use a special tool to install a trap adapter, letting you switch to a slip joint trap.
Would you recommend redoing the trap without glue?

Is there enough space for a slip joint trap without cutting into the cabinet?

...edit...sorry I reread your comment. I think the plumber is avoiding cutting into the cabinet since there are drawers underneath

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks