Outdoor submersible pump timer short

Users who are viewing this thread

HKC

Reaction score
I have a small backyard water feature with a submersible pump that is controlled by a digital outdoor timer. The electrical source is from a GFI plug at the side of the yard, about 75' away that leads to another outlet that i is not GFI protected. The timer plugs into the unprotected outlet and the pump plugs into the timer.

The problem I am having is that I've fried 2 timers at the point where the pump plugs into the timer. This connection point is in the open and I try to protect it by covering it with plastic to keep water away from the plug. It works for a while but eventually it fries.

I don't understand why the GFI does not shut down the circuit to protect the timer. Looking for explanation and also suggestions on how to protect that point where the pump plugs into the timer.

Thanks.

HKC

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a small backyard water feature with a submersible pump that is controlled by a digital outdoor timer. The electrical source is from a GFI plug at the side of the yard, about 75' away that leads to another outlet that is not GFI protected. The timer plugs into the unprotected outlet and the pump plugs into the timer. >>>>>>>>>>>?????? HKC

That so called unprotected outlet maybe connected to the GFCI load side. Push the test button on the GFCI to trip it and then check if there is power at the other outlet. GFCI's do not protect the circuit from over loads. If the test button does not trip with power then the GFCI is bad. Most of the exterior GFCI installed are rated for indoor use, not damp locations. If the GFCI is bad replace it with one rated for exterior use.

My first thought is the digital timer cannot handle the power (current) load of the pump. Look at the rating of the timer then the rating plate of the pump. The timer should at least equal the load rating of the pump but better if it exceeds it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not only the load capacity of the timer, but whether it is designed for use with motors verses something like a lamp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks