Outdoor shower valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
So I'm wanting to put in an outdoor shower next to a CMU retaining wall I'm currently building. Most of the ones I've seen have simple individual valves for hot and cold. Like this:
11708-45-angle.jpg

How does this not violate IRC P2708.4 (the code requiring pressure balancing mixing valves, etc). I don't see an exception for outdoor showers, yet I see these things EVERYWHERE down here in southern arizona.

Anyway, I have to say I like the rustic look of the photo above (not sure I'd do it wall ball valves though), but I also don't want to violate code as this will be inspected. If it comes to having to follow P2708.4, does anyone know of a mixing valve that's not ugly and doesn't cost insane money? (believe it or not, the one pictured above costs $1500). I'm thinking I could whip something together with some Type L copper and some elbows that looks basically the same.

Oh, and as I mentioned I am stacking the CMU retaining wall now, so theoretically I could run the plumbing inside the wall and maybe put some sort of recessed mixing valve in. That's not my preference, but spending $1500 is also not my preference.