Outdoor light/photocell issues

Users who are viewing this thread

mikemc53

Reaction score
Excuse this lengthy post - I feel I need to give a little background.

We live in a small community where they have outdoor lights (with photocells) on each lot and these were put in by the community management a little while back. Initially the lights on our street were not wired to power- just the light and post mounted. These light posts also have an outlet near the bottom, which is a nice feature.They sat like that for a few months (not wired to power) so I decided to do a temporary step and at least get some light. I ran an outdoor extension chord from a GFCI on my house and hard wired it to the light post. Initially the light would not turn off, though it appeared to be wired correctly. A disconnected the ground wire (not even sure why I did that) and it worked fine after that. Always came on at dusk and turned off at first light.

Fast forward four months and the development folks hired some electricians to hard wire the lights to our power source. As soon as they were done, my light stayed on 24 hours a day - as did a few others on my block. Now I know they hooked up the ground, which they should have, but, as I said, I had disconnected it earlier to get it to function properly.We had also heard that the photocells in a number of the light posts may have been defective so, after a few weeks, I decided to change out the photocell. Did it this past Saturday and it worked perfectly. On at dusk and off at first light in the morning. This lasted for four nights and then, this morning (and still into the afternoon), the light stayed on. When I put the new sensor in on Saturday I re-wired it exactly as the electricians did - with the ground wire hooked to ground. I know that you can get bad sensors but this doesn't compute. Worked when ground was not hooked up but when ground is wired in it only worked for four nights then back to permanently on.

Can the ground (or lack thereof) make a difference? If so, why? I know folks will also talk about how much light the cell is getting but it worked for months before the electricians hard wired it and then for a few days after I replaced the sensor, so I am not really considering location of the sensor to be the problem.

Kind of at a loss, here, and looking for thoughts on this.

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What type of light is it? Bulb type, wattage? It is nothing more than a residential light post or something better? What is the photocell model number or type? Bought at HD, etc? It the post metal or plastic/fiberglass? Is it wired to the same GFI circuit as you had?

You can remove it and bench test it. Still seems like the sensor went bad again?

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate working on outdoor stuff. Turn it down every chance I get. Rain, lightning, corrosion, weedeaters, woodchucks, chipmunks, and any number of other things can cause problems with outdoor lighting circuits. I've had some successes, but it's what I fail at most often.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Mikemc53, If you have a residential light fixture that uses an ordinary light bulb (A19 base), remove the photocell and use one of these. Besure it is compatible for LEDs lamps. The real cheapy ones will not work, I tried them and this type, either GE or another lable work without problems.

brown-ge-lighting-sensors-18265-40_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks