Outdoor Kitchen Sink Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

MOB19

Reaction score
I have a deck over my garage, and I'd like to add an outdoor kitchen to the deck.

The washing machine and garage sink (not yet installed) are in the garage. (See attached picture (yes, I know, the hot and cold on the sink and washing machine are reversed).)

If I use a self venting air valve on the outdoor sink, can I drain the outdoor kitchen sink into the garage sink drain line? (I'd use 90 deg elbow with a side fitting to bring the drain up to the deck and drain the garage sink.)

Garage_Sink_WM_Drain2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What makes you think the hot and cold lines are "reversed"? Red is usually hot and blue, cold. No, you cannot drain the upstairs sink into the downstairs sink's vent/drain line.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, you cannot drain the upstairs sink into the downstairs sink's vent/drain line.
I think his "garage sink drain" red arrow points to a suitable drain line, and not a vent line for anything downstream.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He stated that it was for a "garage sink" that was not installed yet. BUT, if he is going to drain it down to that sink drain, then he will need a vent between that connection and the sink because of the suction that will be created by that long drop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting is for the same floor.
Waste from above ties in below the fixtures below.
Vents from below can tie and above the flood level on the next floor.

dwv_b2.jpg

MOB19

Reaction score
Yes, the notes are correct. I have not yet installed the garage sink, but that is the line I want to use to also drain the outdoor kitchen sink.

Looking at the schematic from Terry, it sounds like I have the right idea. The one difference is that I will not tie back into the existing vent, but use an AAV on the outdoor sink instead.