Orient a square fixture and get it tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob_Kincardine

Reaction score
Hello Folks

I am building a new washroom and have learned may things from this forum, thank you. I am stuck now and have my first question for the forum. I have a hand held shower head (see picture below or link) that screws into a drop ear elbow mounted behind the ceramic tiles. How do you screw this in such that the fixture is tights AND the fixture is oriented correctly.

My shower head system did not come with instructions, but this must be a common question.

Thanks
Rob

homary-hand-spray.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu can't paste a picture, you have to use the advanced tools to upload it, or link it to an external server.

But, it's not only an issue with something like your shower arm, but also screw on tub spouts and other bits as well.

There is some leeway in how tight you make things while preventing them from leaking. Sometimes, it gives you more flexibility if you use PTFE tape, and if you find it's going past where you want it to ultimately sit, you take it back off and add another layer of the tape. If all of the parts are metal, you can usually go around again if it first tightens up past where you want. There's a limit on how much tape you can use. I also find that using the tape, when you don't get it quite as tight as you want, because it's slippery, it can loosen if it gets moved. Sometimes, it can help if you use both tape and pipe dope especially if you use the hardening type of pipe dope.

Some of the least installer friendly stuff I've heard about comes from Kohler, especially things like body sprays.

Rob_Kincardine

Reaction score
Thanks Jadnashua. I will try and play with the numbers of layers teflon tape, I probably have three now. I included the picture this time.

Another related question. After its hand tight how much more can you tighten it with a wrench. I need a another 1/2 turn to get it into the right orientation. Something is giving even when I hand tighten it and I concern to go too tight with a wrench. I think the drop ear elbow may be moving a very little bit and that is what I am feeling. Both the drop ear elbow and the shower wand fitting are brass.

shower wand.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To tighten those on, I like to put a tool in where the hand spray line threads on. That way I don't scratch the exterior.
A Home Depot orange screwdriver with the changeable end removed works well.

hdx-multi-bit-screwdriver.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drop-ear in the wall should be firmly mounted to blocking. If it isn't, you can put a lot of stress on things when trying to tighten stuff up.

If things are well anchored, and IF the threads are cut properly, you can often go at least a full turn after it's finger tight.

Rob_Kincardine

Reaction score
The drop-ear in the wall should be firmly mounted to blocking. If it isn't, you can put a lot of stress on things when trying to tighten stuff up.

If things are well anchored, and IF the threads are cut properly, you can often go at least a full turn after it's finger tight.

That's encouraging, fortunately I can get access to the other side of the wall and tighten the drop ear elbow, or at least get a wrench on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks