Options for Propane Tankless Heater for Heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex Frost

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone recommend propane tankless water heater that would be best suitable for 49k heat loss and 29k heat gain house? I am thinking either Navien or Rinnai but not sure of what model / size to get.

Thank you

Fitter30

Reaction score
So u need 20k heat. Don't think anyone makes a boiler that small so you must have heat generating equipment? These boilers will heat the house if you lose your gain. Smallest boiler only 60 & 55k btu's then there's the turn down ratio down to 15k. Is their a local rep for parts? Navian won't talk to non contractor for problems.

Last edited:

Alex Frost

Reaction score
So u need 20k heat. Don't think anyone makes a boiler that small so you must have heat generating equipment? These boilers will heat the house if you lose your gain. Smallest boiler only 60 & 55k btu's then there's the turn down ratio down to 15k. Is their a local rep for parts? Navian won't talk to non contractor for problems.
That is correct. Based on the heat load calc. done by heating contractor years ago, then my own calc. guided by Dana (well regarded member) and then lastly Dana doing some quick check using my oil consumption history. I believe even with some margin of error it was estimated to be 25k. Now, the heat load does not include lower level (split entry home) that is not occupied most of the time and not heated much beyond boiler/piping radiation. We also have mini splits (on top floor) and plan to use them for heat this winter (entire winter). In the past, I would shut them off and use boiler for 2-3 months in the winter.

The install would be done by contractor and any troubleshooting down the road which is the reason why I am little hesitant to go with these tankless heaters as with everything else the more sophisticated the are the more it will cost for repair and troubleshooting.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Tankless boilers don't need the heat exchangers cleaned yearly like tankless water heaters but still have more parts than a standard boiler. Advantages modulating burner, wider range of outdoor reset and if needed cooler boiler water. Brand of boiler whatever the contractor is suggesting.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heating loads in the winter generally don't have a "heat gain" figured into them. Heat gain is for cooling on the summer. There are small 50k boilers available that modulate down, but getting a tankless is really the best option for a modulating boiler. You just want to go with whatever is commonly sold and available locally. Also include warranty on the decision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks