Old well purely for watering (hose) CSV or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Simon T

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old 5” well (1980’s?) on our land that was in use, but not for drinking. It was previously a greenhouse business. We since had a new well put in place for the house.

as the old well is nearby for irrigation purposes we hooked it back up. I have no details on the well age, size/depth, gpm or anything (called around companies and looked for stats/registration details online to no avail). However it is 3/4HP as we found the old control module for it. It is a 4 wire 220 submersible pump that previously had a tank/bladder attached.

currently we have hooked it up to direct power with a 220v switch and am using the water hydrant directly on the well standpipe (making sure the hydrant is open before turning on).

my questions is. Should I consider a CSV with a small tank as the well is strictly for wide open irrigation only or is a small tank and pressure switch going to work just the same with minimal cycling? The setup will be right next to the well.

I don’t like my current system in case it is switched on with no flow.

Thanks

Attachments

• C76975AC-E1EB-44DD-807A-69FE92B4E22E.jpeg
    C76975AC-E1EB-44DD-807A-69FE92B4E22E.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Adding a CSV1A , little pressure tank, and a pressure switch would make it safe and automatic. Just open a faucet or multiple faucets, the pressure switch will start the pump, and the CSV will give you the exact amount of water you want to use without cycling the pump.

However. simply adding a little 75 PSI pressure relief valve will make what you are doing know fairly safe. If the pump is switched on with no or too little flow, the pressure relief valve will pop off some water. The pressure relief valve won't last long doing this, but if just for emergencies it will last for years.

Simon T

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I wouldn’t have thought of a 75psi valve.

We found an old jet? pump Tank combo stored away and hooked it up temporarily. It’s a small 7 gallon tank maybe.

It all seems to be working and is set at 20/40 (just need to check the tank pre charge).

would it be worth having the jet pump kick in inline with the submersible pump or just unplug it from the pressure switch?

Simon T

Reaction score
Will do. I believe the submersible is powerful enough.

once this project is completed I will be back as regard a CSV for the house well. Thankfully I have actual details on the well and system so should be a lot easier to figure out.

thanks again

Simon T

Reaction score
So it seems with a 30/50 set up with the small tank I’m getting pump cycling a 30 seconds (30 seconds on and 30 seconds off) with the hose running.

based on research the minimum off time should be a minute or more ideally. And based on other posts the options would be a larger bladder tank or a CSV.

does that seem right? If so I’ll be starting another thread for my drinking water well as I may as well just buy two CSV‘s at once.

Reach4

Reaction score
So it seems with a 30/50 set up with the small tank I’m getting pump cycling a 30 seconds (30 seconds on and 30 seconds off) with the hose running.

based on research the minimum off time should be a minute or more ideally. And based on other posts the options would be a larger bladder tank or a CSV.

does that seem right? If so I’ll be starting another thread for my drinking water well as I may as well just buy two CSV‘s at once.
You are right. If it were irrigation only, your other possibility would be to increase the rate of water use to match what the pump does. But when you bring more variable loads into the picture, that is not going to be sufficient.

Why two CSVs? Two pumps? If one pump, one CSV should do it. The CSV adjusts for the changes in load.

Simon T

Reaction score
Ok seems like a good safeguard for the well.

One CSV for the well for the yard (non drinkable) and we have a newish well purely for in house (separate post to follow for advice).

thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks