Old softerner is out. Sizing up Replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I think given your iron, a KL tank will probably also take out the arsenic as well as iron and manganese. I don't have suggested sizing for you.

A softener would handle residual iron or manganese.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Ok, had the Culligan tech / sales rep come out and look at the equipment. As I didn't want to be charged a service call, I asked about upgrading to one of their metered systems. He remembered installing it a long time ago, looked at it for less than 5 minutes. Small tank is the softener, 2 big ones are the air injection and iron / odor removal. He, however, did not test my water but felt confident enough to give me a quote on a new unit.

Here is what was recommended:

HE Softener Clear Plus system. This all in one system treats Iron, Scale and Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg) smell. This system features a built in chlorine generator and chemical injection.

The price for the system is: ~$3,000
9" x 56" softener with 375lb brine system.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
there is no way that $3k culligan system will work for you, at least not for more than a year at which point it will be clogged with iron and you'll have to pay them $1200 to service it. he didn't even test the water? wow.

i've not used a peroxide injection system, but i've heard they work wonders on water like yours. call your local Clack dealer and get a quote for an H2O2 filter and separate softener. probably about the same $3k culligan wants, except the Clack system will actually work. In retrospect, I wish I had done this rather than get an air injection filter.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Not having much luck around here. People either don't know or don't care what they are doing / selling.

Place I called today quoted me a fleck unit, "higher end model." Without knowing the hardness, how much water we use, or even what is in the water. When asked about testing the water I was told that they just test hardness, ph, and iron and that I'd need a lab to test for more. Quote was $1500ish including $150 for install.

I don't enjoy feeling like I know more about my water or what I want than people trying to sell me stuff. I'll call a few more places tomorrow then it's off to the interwebs.

Tried to find a Clack dealer / installer / anybody, haven't gotten very far with that. I did put a message in through their website, I'll see what they come up with.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
So he, Culligan dude, must of used the water sample from 2003.
watertest-2_50.png

Last edited: