Old house bathroom remodel and inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

Xiaotian Guo

Reaction score
Hi,
I (homeowner) am in middle of DIY remodel a guest bathroom on 2nd floor of a 30 years old house. I made the following plumbing work -

1. Copper to PEX for all water lines in the bathroom
2. Replace the Toilet flange, 3" elbow and about 6 inches of horizontal 3" section. Had to do this as the flange has badly rusted and the subfloor around it is rotten due to leak, I also replaced the subfloor around it.
3 Replace the standing shower drain p-trap and a 6 inches of horizontal 2" section. The old p-trap was glued to the fiberglass pan drain assembly so I had to cut the top of the p-trap to separate them. I also need to offset the drain by a couple of inche for the new pre-sloped pan.
4. Replaced the sink drain sanitary tee, 1 foot section above it and 1 foot section below it.

I have not covered anything (wall, subfloor) and need to prepare for inspection.

I am wondering how inspector would ask me to do, if he/she wants a full water fill test from roof, then I have 2 options:
1. Temporarily block the main stack exit(if I can find the C/O) in crawl space, but the problems are a). I will have to remove the toilets on both first floor(powder room) and second floor(master bath) and seal them, and remove all sanitary tees in the house to plug the openings - a lot of work and even everything goes smoothly(no leak) I won't be able to use bathrooms and kitchen for several days. b) Worse, since the house is 30+ years old I could end up with a mess (water leaks from elsewhere).
2. Install test tees for both toilet drain and shower drain at the vertical section below the drains, probably by open walls from the first floor - that's a lot of more work(2 places drywall patch, finish) than I want to do.

Both of these 2 options sounds very bad to me. I figured my situation (remodel bathroom for an old house) should be pretty common, and wondering how such situations are handled? Would the inspector consider the situation and just do a running test?

My house is in Seattle Eastside.

@Terry I'd really appreciate it if you could give some advice, You probably have done work in my city (kirkland)

Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks