Old Berkeley Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
IMG_20181028_151540.jpg
IMG_20190228_115046.jpg
This old pump has been supplying river water for my mom's summer cabin since the 1960's. Other than occasional loss of prime, foot valve problems, it was fairly problem free - until last summer. The pump sits under the front edge of the deck about 10' above the river. There's about 50' of suction hose out into the river.
I can fill a 500 gallon tank with a garden hose that sits about 30' above the cabin on a hillside with the pump. It just doesn't build enough pressure in the small Goulds pressure tank to trip the pressure switch. Worked great the year before. I can't find any info on the Berkeley pump to see if I can pull it apart to see if somethings clogged. If it's time to replace it what would you recommend for summer weekend use?

Reach4

Reaction score
For a jet pump, you want to clean the jet/orifice with a wire. There will be a plug on the left side of your first picture. A cut steel coat hanger, like from a dry cleaner, is the classic wire. Bare solid electric wire may work too. Searching for pump "coat hanger" may turn up discussions.

Charp

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So it is the small plug next to the intake/suction? I have wondered why the housing has been brazed. What maintenance does this pump need?
IMG_20190228_180121.jpg

Charp

Reaction score
If it works again why replace it?! If the cabin got used on weekends for 5 months that's roughly 40 days of use per year. It doesn't get used that much. If I get the spring cleaned up and working properly, pump use would be even less. Problem with the spring is that it's shared, with an ornery neighbor who thinks it's his. Factor in that the cabin is on Forest Service lease land results in not wanting to put much money into it! That's the way a lot of FS lease cabin owners operate. Government can be fickle so don't tie up much money in it.
Thanks for the info and advice. If there's further problems with it then we'll replace it.

Charp

Reaction score
IMG_20190302_154430.jpg
IMG_20190302_154509.jpg

I couldn't help myself, so now it's in pieces. Can't find anything clogged. Ran string trimmer line through the slots in the "wheel", impeller? Also through the holes behind the spring loaded rubber piece. Can the motor be weak?
Any "value added" or "deal special" pump recommendations for occasional usage?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks