OK I am leaning towards copper pipe from floor to sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
Please look at the picture...blue pex line is just temporary.
Currently I have galvanized pipes under concrete slab and female galvanized nipples are placed on the pipes that is coming from the floor. So there are 4 pipes coming from the floor ...two for kitchen and two for bathroom sink.
Now I am leaning towards copper pipes ...but obviously confusion is ...what is the best way to make a transition from floor galvanized nipples to new copper pipes..obviously I dont want to make direct connection using male copper adapter fitting.
So give me best idea which requires minimum no. of joints...I hate joints...so less is better.
I understand once I make transition from galvanized to copper ...I have to put an copper 90 elbow.
But after that can I put compression shut off valve directly on it or I should use brass nipple before I put valve?
20200128_230603.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Most people have no objection to using brass compression fittings with soft copper or brass supply tubes, and screwing those to galvanized. If they would remain accessible, good 1/4 turn ball valves would be a great transition. I am not a plumber.

This is the 1/2" FIP x 3/8" OD Comp Straight Stop Valve, Lead Free (Chrome)
SKU: 511-53-31
511-53-31-1.jpg

3/8 OD should work for a kitchen too.

For bigger, https://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mini-ball-valves/supply-stops/iron/supply-stops-511-53-32.php feeds 1/2 OD tubing.

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
What's wrong with sticking with the pex you've already run? You want less connections, that's the ticket.

Curiousv

Reaction score
Most people have no objection to using brass compression fittings with soft copper or brass supply tubes, and screwing those to galvanized. If they would remain accessible, good 1/4 turn ball valves would be a great transition. I am not a plumber.

This is the 1/2" FIP x 3/8" OD Comp Straight Stop Valve, Lead Free (Chrome)
SKU: 511-53-31
511-53-31-1.jpg

3/8 OD should work for a kitchen too.

For bigger, https://www.dahlvalve.com/products/mini-ball-valves/supply-stops/iron/supply-stops-511-53-32.php feeds 1/2 OD tubing.

Ok little confused here...are u suggesting on those galvanized female nipples coming from the floor ...I can attach brass nipples ?and than put shut of valve on that nipple? in that case I dont need any more pipe ..copper or otherwise correct?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok little confused here...are u suggesting on those galvanized female nipples coming from the floor ...I can attach brass nipples ?and than put shut of valve on that nipple? in that case I dont need any more pipe ..copper or otherwise correct?
I was suggesting to screw the valves to the galvanized pipe with no nipple. Then use copper or brass tubing up to your faucet. My way is not always the best way.

How did you plan to get from your valves to your faucet?

Curiousv

Reaction score
I was suggesting to screw the valves to the galvanized pipe with no nipple. Then use copper or brass tubing up to your faucet. My way is not always the best way.

How did you plan to get from your valves to your faucet?

Faucet itself has long hoses which 3/8 female ends which I was going to connect to valves.
And from valves to galvanized nipple in floor (as shown in pic) was my question ...
I thought you suggested brass nipple for that ....

Well here is my thought process now...buy brass nipple with both the male ends ...one end will go to floor and other end will screw to valve and from valve directly to faucet ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks