Offset Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

pilot4net2

Reaction score
In the house that I am finishing for my in-laws, we have run across another little snag in the plumbing. They have an alcove built for where they want the toilet to be put in. I go to start the measuring so that I can cut the hole for the flange and realize that I am nearly directly over a flooring joist. At this point I am starting to run out of ideas. I saw an offset toilet flange that may remedy my dilemma but I was worried that because the flange directs the waste at a considerable angle after exiting the toilet, that it may cause the toilet to flush weakly or slowly and possibly not flush at all. I know you guys do this everyday of your lives and I am asking for some professional input as to whether you think this offset flange would work alright in this situation. Here's some other info that may help you decide on your yay or nay decision. The waste has to come through the toilet, exit through the subfloor to the left of the toilet through this offset flange which is a 3" flange, go through a 90 to go horizontal for about a 5' run where it will dump into the main 4" drain line. The vent will come into play at the 90 I mentioned. How do you think this set up will work? Do I need to come up with an alternative game plan such as installing a flooring joist on either side of the flange area and cutting out the joist that is spoiling this whole plan? Please let me know what you all think and give me any suggestions as I can use all the help I can get. I am really appreciative of all your help and really enjoy this site as it is a valuable resource for the do it yourselfer. Thanks.
offset_level_fit_flng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is anyway at all you can cut out a section of the floor joist and put in a couple of headers that would be the way to go. I'm not a big fan of offset flanges at all. Not saying I havent used them in a pinch, but this is your inlaws place and you definitely want to be sure there arent going to be problems.

Good luck Pilot

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The offset flange, as long as you do not use the one with an "oval" opening, will not affect the flush, nor create an obstruction in the outlet. But if you have to offset sideways, the oval one will not work anyway. If you have the vent connected to the elbow under the toilet, then your inspector must be very lenient, because that would not be allowed in most instances.

pilot4net2

Reaction score
hj said:
The offset flange, as long as you do not use the one with an "oval" opening, will not affect the flush, nor create an obstruction in the outlet. But if you have to offset sideways, the oval one will not work anyway. If you have the vent connected to the elbow under the toilet, then your inspector must be very lenient, because that would not be allowed in most instances.

In the area where we are, we do not have to pass any kind of inspections nor follow any specific codes. When I went to the Parish (FYI; A parish is the Louisiana equivalent of a County) Municipal building to check on getting a construction permit and to get a list of the applicable codes, they asked me where in the parish was the home. I told them that the home was in the rural part of the parish. That's when they gave me a perplexed "duh" look and said that there was no codes, inspections, or permits needed. All I need to know is whether the flange will work and whether the vent will work installed as I described. I thank all of you for the prompt response to my post and look forward to seeing and reading your other responses to my question. Thanks for supporting such a great site.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
wow no codes to follow? interesting indeed. I'm still not a fan of the offset flanges. I guess because they are frowned upon here by every inspector I've ever dealt with. You dont have to deal with an inspector and using the offset flange will be alot easier in the end. Heck, if thats the case in your part of the world, I just might consider using it.

pilot4net2

Reaction score
There are alot of "interesting" things that we do or do not do here is rural South Louisiana. Don't be surprised by our stupidity. Thanks for your help.