Noisy flue pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

brooklyn ny

Reaction score
I have a flue pipe running through a chase in the corner of my bedroom that makes knocking noises every time the boiler turns on, loud enough to wake us at night. This is in a three story row house. There is a gas boiler (175k BTU) for heat, and two water heater tanks, located in the cellar — all three are connected to the same exhaust flue pipe, which runs straight up to the roof through all three stories above. I believe the flue pipe is 8-inch B-vent galvanized steel. The heating system is hot water radiators. Whenever the heat is turned on, the knocking in the flue starts, most loudly on the top floors closest to the roof (and unfortunately where my bedroom is located).

I suspect the noise is due to thermal expansion in the flue pipe. I opened a hole in the drywall in my bedroom and saw that there was a tight fit between the flue pipe and the floorboards. I sawed away the floor enough to leave a slight gap (see attached photo), thinking it would give the pipe more room to expand, but this didn’t alleviate the noise.

Any ideas on how to address this? Perhaps the cold air from the roof meeting the hot exhaust will cause noisy thermal expansion no matter how tightly or loosely the flue pipe is held in place?

IMG_6987.jpg
Thank you in advance for any input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks