no water

Users who are viewing this thread

freddie1234

Reaction score
hi have no water from well.
well about 300 ft deep. new 3hp pump 2 years ago. Franklin electric deluxe control box. System has pressure, pressure switch contacts closed. pump not running. when open and close pressure switch manually, click in control box happens. I am not great at troubleshooting but can follow directions. have meters. have replaced several of the pressure switches and control boxes on rentals. what do you think?
Has 220 power. I was thinking start relay or maybe capacitor,( run). caps not blown apart

help fred

Reach4

Reaction score
I would start by measuring the voltage between the 2 wires to the pump. That will tell a lot. Worst case, there is voltage but no flow.

If it is 3 wires, take 3 wire to wire measurements. Since you referred to the start capacitor up top, that would imply 3 wires. Interpreting will not be so simple.

If there is no voltage to the pump, look for power to the controller-- or maybe that is what you meant when you said "has 220 power"."

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 3HP control box should have either a breaker or a push button overload underneath. Push the red button until it clicks and the pump will probably start.

freddie1234

Reaction score
thank you for your response but there are 2 reset buttons on the bottom, pushed both ( rt first than left)with no response. I know you have to push hard. why are the contacts stuck closed ( on position) on the pressure switch, do you know. could the start or run cap be bad.

freddie1234

Reaction score
thanks, will check that.
I have power to the controller, power in and out of pressure switch. pressure in tank.
seems like pressure switch went on, but pump did not. I believe if the start cap had power for long period it would blow, therefore I am leaning towards run cap. that's what I cant figure out
thx

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you get the reset buttons pushed hard enough the box should buzz and either run the pump or click that overload out again. If the box isn’t clicking and buzzing you probably don’t have the reset pushed hard enough.

If the box is not making any noise, the coil in the “deluxe” relay maybe bad. There is usually a place on this relay where you can push it closed with a screwdriver. If the pump runs when you manually push the relay closed then the coil in the relay is bad.

The points on the pressure switch are supposed to stay closed as long as the pressure is lower than the cut off pressure. If you are getting 230V to the control box, the pressure switch is fine.

Be careful, when working in a “hot” or electrified control box. A finger or screwdriver in the wrong place can be very dangerous.