No Hot water from bath tub

Users who are viewing this thread

namux

Reaction score
My bathtub doesn't seem to get enough hot water. It is a separate bathtub with a shower next to it. The bathtub faucet is a Moen Brantford Oil Rubbed Bronze 2-Handle Commerical/Residential Deck Mount Roman Bathtub Faucet. This is in my master bathroom. There is a shower, a toilet and 2 sinks. The shower and both sinks all get hot water no problem. But the bath tub's hot water never gets hot. It is definitely warmer then the cold side so I feel some hot water is getting through but not enough.

After doing some google research, I decided to replace the Moen cartridge in the shower. The shower is a single handle shower that controls both cold and hot water. Even after replacing this cartridge, nothing seemed to help.

Do I need to take the side panel off the bath tub and maybe replace something underneath the bath tub faucet. The panel is a big tile piece that is not easily removed. There are no temperature valves or anything under the sinks.

I don't know where is to look. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing codes require that the Roman Tub faucet have a hot water setting of 120 degrees or less. Often that is done with a tempering valve under one of the lavs and can be adjusted there.

tempering-valve-tub-terrylove.jpg

Tempering valve for hot water to the tub. It takes hot and cold water and blends it down to a preset temperature.

Last edited:

namux

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I definitely have checked for this and cannot find one anywhere in the house. This home was built in 2013. The water now runs through flex tubing. Could this be attached to the hot water faucet directly under the bath tub? There is definitely not one of these in the master bathroom. There isn't even one of these in the entire house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you for replying. I definitely have checked for this and cannot find one anywhere in the house. This home was built in 2013. The water now runs through flex tubing. Could this be attached to the hot water faucet directly under the bath tub? There is definitely not one of these in the master bathroom. There isn't even one of these in the entire house.

I would like to think a tempering valve would have been installed to be accessible so that repairs could be made in the future, but then there are also tempering valves that can be installed in hidden places. Those never made sense to me. They don't last forever.

chew_2168.jpg

I found this one under the tub decking. At least there was access to it. I fund it while changing the tub spout to a longer one.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks