No heat only at last two baseboard heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

hubboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Remodeling lower room in home had access to heating pipes so updated to rooms to slant fin baseboards from cast iron. Decided to change 20yr working old circulator pump, drain valves, and leaking hi- vent at burner. Put heat on bled every baseboard, drain , etc. Now have heat at all baseboards on both floors except the main floor two Baseboard heaters that are the farthest from the rest. If I bleed either one, the baseboard gets hotter and works perfectly. Then after a very short time, baseboard gets cold again. What am I missing? Thankyou for your time everyone. Gene

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pressure in the system? Any zone valves? When air bleed is on the two base boards that is creating flow that's why their getting warm. Old pump verses new are they the same?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in hydronic heating, but I do know that cast iron radiators pumps run for a time while the CI radiators heated, then turn off while the stored energy in the CI dissipated while slant fin radiators only heat while water is circulating because the heat dissipates quickly.. are your new pumps/system set up for the new style radiators?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your bleeding and not getting air then it's either the pump is too small, your new piping is wrong, or there's a valve in the off position.

The big question is are you sure the air is out of the system completely? If the air is definitely out I would check that you don't have any broken valves that are stuck closed. Then it's checking the circulator. If it's not big enough then it won't circulate the water far enough.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There is still air in the system. I would run the circulator pump. At the highest rad, open the bleed valve for several minutes, then open the bleed valves that are not working. Continue bleeding for several minutes.

Have you checked the expansion tanks? Old ones are just a metal tank, new ones are a bladder type. Be sure these are drained.

Last edited:

hubboy

Reaction score
Pressure in the system? Any zone valves? When air bleed is on the two base boards that is creating flow that's why their getting warm. Old pump verses new are they the same?
Ok yep was just air in system isolated burner from heat zone installed hose and bucket on drain moved reg to street pressure and let run for a bit. Closed up all moved reg lever back put heat on and now good. Spent entire bleeding now I know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks