No chaulk shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbdumb1

Reaction score
Does a no chaulk shower drain, when tightened, lift the tub up ever so slightly? I ask because my drain is coming out of a slab. I have some play in the pipe back and forth but not up and down. And if I set the tub/shower in a bed of mortar, let it dry, then come back and tighten drain and if it does in fact lift the tub, the tub would ever so slightly not be bedded in mortar anymore and place a lot of strain on the vertical drain pipe.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does not in any way lift the floor. But what can happen is the hole for the drain can be made too small and when the base is set a part of the drain assembly rests on the floor which would/could warp the pan.

Plumbdumb1

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess it dosent matter but you are calling it a tub/ shower never saw a no caulk bath tub ?
Anyway I screw my tub, Tub/shower or shower pan to the tub walls so it aint going anywhere. put some lube, duck butter or whatever on the rubber and pipe and I cant see a issue unless you arent telling us something obvious

Plumbdumb1

Reaction score
I guess it dosent matter but you are calling it a tub/ shower never saw a no caulk bath tub ?
Anyway I screw my tub, Tub/shower or shower pan to the tub walls so it aint going anywhere. put some lube, duck butter or whatever on the rubber and pipe and I cant see a issue unless you arent telling us something obvious
Sorry, Shower pan. Just was thinking once you start cranking down on that no chalk drain, and your drain has no room to go down whatsoever it would start to push shower pan up just a tad. Just trying to make sure that wasn’t the case. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood the question.

A no caulk drain when installed and tightened properly shouldn't create any force up or down on the pan.

Depending on which drain body you're using the drain would be installed on the pan prior to setting. The drain body is placed over the stand pipe and perhaps trimmed to length in order to get the cross bar tool they come with... or a circular type tool that grips into 8 of the notches at once (highly recommended) to fit over. The rubber gasket is then slid down between the pipe and the drain body with a bit of lube to aid.. and wiggling of the stand pipe if its not perfectly aligned. Then the nut and sometimes a friction ring are installed and tightened down. At this point the force is just being applied to the gasket which should squish it to fill the gap between the pipe and drain body.

Really the only time any movement would occur would be if the standpipe wasn't aligned well and the gasket has a lot of friction on insertion and pushes the standpipe down.. And if we've determined that isn't possible I cant think of any force that would push the pan up after its set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks