Nice site !

Users who are viewing this thread

feeln17

Reaction score
Love all I've learned searching this site. A world of information here!. Question , I'm replacing a shower unit with a tiled shower. After demo I found that the old drain was just 1 1/2" I plan on replacing that with 2" tapping directly into the main 4" drain under the house in the crawl space. I capped the old 1 1/2' off. how can I achive a vent ? can I just tie the old 1 1/2" into the new 2" ? or do I need to tap the new 2" directly into the vent going up the wall? Where to I tap the new 2" vent into the drain? befor the trap or after? Hope you all can figure out what I'm asking because I'm confused :eek:

thanks for any help Don

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can't tie the 2" to the 1.5". You will need a new 4" X 2" Y. You will have to look for a vent. Does the shower look like it was added after the house was built? My guess is there was a tub there at one time and someone converted it to a shower. There should be a vent near by somewhere maybe in a wall.

feeln17

Reaction score
thanks

thanks Cass, yes, I understand that I will have to have a 4'x2" y to tie the new 2" into the main drain. With all that done, how do I get a vent on that drain? can I just put another 2" x 1 1/2" y in the line and hook it to the old 1 1/2" to achive the venting? Being that old drain must be vented somewhere.
also where on the old line do i tap into, before the p-trap or after? I can't see where the old drain connects to the vent but I'm pretty sure it shares that vent with the water closet. there is a wall ( housing the vent to the roof that will serve as a shower wall) that I have open ,so I can get to the vent there. thanks for any other help. sorry for my confusion Thanks don

Last edited:

feeln17

Reaction score
hello again

getting ready to plumb shower befor sheetrock, couple of questions, I have 1/2" cpvc supply lines coming up thru floor that fed old shower. We are planning to use a single valve control with diverter on valve, 1 line to shower head, 1 to hand held shower. can I just stick with the 1/2" cpcv or would I be better to convert to copper? ( pro's & cons)If so, where do I need to start the copper from and what size is best? thanks for any help I can get. Don