Newly installed Insinkerator disposal metallic grinding

Users who are viewing this thread

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
Finishing up a kitchen remodel. An Insinkerator Badger 500 was installed. Less than 2 weeks in use. When it is turned on it sounds like a bunch of steel is clanking around inside. I looked inside and see nothing that could be causing the sound. The chamber is completely empty.

The two blades seem like they could be a possibility. Very loose. Thoughts?

Is the Badger 500 a decent disposal? Looks like it’s on the cheap side. Definitely cheaper than what I had before. I didn’t choose it. The contractor did.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With nothing inside, the thing should only be making normal motor sounds. If you punched out the plug for a dishwasher hookup, did you remove that plug? Many have little hammers that swing around as the plate rotates to help break up larger waste, but normally don't make any noises.

If you leave the power off then use the unclog wrench in the bottom to slowly turn the motor shaft, does it make any sounds and does it rotate smoothly?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The two blades move outward while spinning. If they are banging, then there is something in the chamber making them bounce. This the loud racket.
The 500 and the 5 are just fine. My basic disposer that I install for people. The Insinkerater Pro series has an LT880 which is really nice.

I won't install Moen, WasteKing or American Standard disposers.

Jinmalibu

Reaction score
With nothing inside, the thing should only be making normal motor sounds. If you punched out the plug for a dishwasher hookup, did you remove that plug? Many have little hammers that swing around as the plate rotates to help break up larger waste, but normally don't make any noises.

If you leave the power off then use the unclog wrench in the bottom to slowly turn the motor shaft, does it make any sounds and does it rotate smoothly?
Funny you mention the dishwasher. The disposal had been running fine for about two weeks since it was put into use and the day this problem started was the day they hooked up the dishwasher.

I did use the wrench and turn the disposal manually, but did not hear any out of the ordinary sounds. After checking the disposal and running it a few more times the metallic clanking sound turned to a more consistent, loud vibration sound as if whatever was clanking around got broken up or something happened and the sound changed.

I looked inside the chamber thoroughly with a flash light and cannot see anything inside. All of the slots/holes around the outside of the chamber are clear. I also reached around inside as much as possible and could not feel anything.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very likely the plastic plug that gets punched out of the DW port was not fully removed. Sometimes they come out in 2 pieces. After unplugging the electrical cord, the best way for you(or the installer) to get it out is to remove the disposal from the clamping ring and get the rubber baffle off. That way you can tip it upside down.