New well. I've just had a hole bored

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have some questions about the pump installation. Any well drillers on this site?

Ive got alot of feedback from DIY guys like myself which has been great but Im looking for a pros advice.

Ive got approx 158 of casing pounded supposedly 10 feet into limestone, fantastic water, well driller said he believes its pushing out approx 40-60 gallons per minute.

I havent started building on the property yet and its 2 hrs away.

I need to get water to fill my 275 gallon IBC totes so I can water the trees I am planting.

Ive signed a contract to have galv pipe and Schaefer pup with tank ect installed. Id like to not install the tank at this point.

No point in leaving it set out there for 2 years or more. Thieves may eventually get it and again Im assuming I can just go out there, hook my gen to the pump, fill my tank and unplug my gen.

Does that sound like its gonna work? Someone mentioned on another forum to make sure my pump was an open flow?

Havent even seen the pump yet, its been over a week since they drilled the hole and I havent heard from the well drillers telling me they had time to do the install.

What else might I need and any other comments would be appreciated.

Countless people have told me dont let them use the galv pipe, use poly pipe cause its SO much easier to pull later and will last forever.

Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Ive signed a contract to have galv pipe
You probably want to change that to PVC. How far down is the pump going to be set?

What is the well diameter?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sure you can just hook up the genset when you want water. Just make sure not to close the faucet or put anything on the end of the hose that can close. I don't agree with galve pipe. Sch 120 PVC is best, and poly pipe is a close second. But the pump man is not going to set poly as his rig won't handle it and he probably doesn't want you to be able to pull it yourself next time. Franklin/Schaefer pumps are my least favorite. Grundfos and Goulds are better.

Reaction score
You probably want to change that to PVC. How far down is the pump going to be set?

What is the well diameter?
4 inch and why would I be better off with PVC? I do not know how far down the pump will be set. I have 158 of casing and a static of approx 53 feet

Reaction score
Sure you can just hook up the genset when you want water. Just make sure not to close the faucet or put anything on the end of the hose that can close. I don't agree with galve pipe. Sch 120 PVC is best, and poly pipe is a close second. But the pump man is not going to set poly as his rig won't handle it and he probably doesn't want you to be able to pull it yourself next time. Franklin/Schaefer pumps are my least favorite. Grundfos and Goulds are better.

I do not have a faucet nor a home yet

Do you suggest a backflow/one way valve deal somewhere in the line so that the water that is in the line dosent completely drain back down when I pull the plug on Generator?

Is there anything else I may want to consider adding to the line like one of those football looking deal that grip the sides of casing a bit and stops the pump from spinning ect?

Anything else I should consider?

Reach4

Reaction score
4 inch and why would I be better off with PVC? I do not know how far down the pump will be set. I have 158 of casing and a static of approx 53 feet
PVC does not rust. Usually it would be schedule 80 threaded on each end, and couplers between. The couplers can be stainless steel, or maybe schedule 120, couplings. They have to be careful to not over-tighten PVC couplings.

Some wells out west have 30 ft of casing and the well goes down to 700 ft. I don't think that would happen in Florida. However PVC is good for hundreds of feet.

Reaction score
PVC does not rust. Usually it would be schedule 80 threaded on each end, and couplers between. The couplers can be stainless steel, or maybe schedule 120, couplings. They have to be careful to not over-tighten PVC couplings.

Some wells out west have 30 ft of casing and the well goes down to 700 ft. I don't think that would happen in Florida. However PVC is good for hundreds of feet.
I know PVC does not rust, what I meant was how is PVC better than poly pipe? Im assuming you read my initial post and were suggesting I use PVC over poly?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sch 80 or 120 PVC won't flex as much as poly on start up. But either will work. Just use double jacketed wire and you won't need torque arrestors or stand offs in the well, as they are just extra things to get stuck when you try to pull the pump. That and don't let the pump cycle too much and poly or PVC is fine. Galv pipe would be best if you get the pump hot, melt the casing, and the pump gets stuck. Just don't let that happen with 4" casing or your screwed no matter what kind of pipe you use.

Reach4

Reaction score
I know PVC does not rust, what I meant was how is PVC better than poly pipe? Im assuming you read my initial post and were suggesting I use PVC over poly?
I read your initial post to a point, but probably I stopped too soon. I went into shock over this:
Ive signed a contract to have galv pipe

Your pump person is used to working with 2o ft threaded pipe, and has the truck to work with that efficiently.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks