New Water System (Very Confused)

Users who are viewing this thread

RyanK

Reaction score
Currently I have Well water with a 13 year old water softener (Cation resin with anion Resin for tannins) and Aerator tank. Aerators are becoming a thing of the past for the most here either Sulfur/or iron filter with softener or whole home RO. My softener just don't seem to be working to me like it use to be, and I finally made my mind up that I would like to get rid of the system and get a complete new system.

I have had several companies come out and give quotes and just very confusing now:

My reading averaged based on all the companies:
Hardness: 10 - 15 gpg
TDS: 230 - 250 ppm
pH: 7.4
Sulfur: 0 - .3 ppm
Iron: 0 - .3 ppm
Tannins: Medium

It it a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house - currently it is only me that lives here, however me personally I don't want to size the system for only 1 or 2 people. I want it sized for the house as if there was a family of 4 - 6 people.

Softener size varies some say 8x44, 9x48, and 10x54 - me personally I think a 10x54 would be the size to go with and it might be a little bigger than what really needed but is there harm in being a little oversized? I rely on the anion resin for removing the tannins from the water plus rely on the cation resin for softening.

General recommendation has been a 5 and or 6 stage Sulfur filter sized as 10x54, only one water system company they use 13x54 by default.

And one company recommended a Iron filter instead of sulfur filter. From my understanding a sulfur filter can remove Sulfur and some iron where a Iron filter can only remove Iron not sulfur.

(Local company) Company 1 - Clack 5 button meter valve 10x54 softener with cation resin, anion resin, and activated carbon (coconut carbon), Clack 5 button Sulfur filter - 10x54 - 5 stage sulfur filter with KDF 85, He builds both systems with himself, recommends just me doing regular salt service, and then having him do an annual service with hydrogen peroxide flush on both sulfur and softener

(Local Company) Company 2 - Clack 3 button TC 10x54 softener with cation resin and anion resin, Clack 5 button iron filter - 10x54, systems prebuilt from 2 different companies, Iron filter from Action mfg, softener from coast pump

(Local Company) Company 3 - Clack 3 button TC 9x48 or 10x54 softener with cation resin and anion resin, Clack 5 button - six stage sulfur filter included KDF 85 and Turbidex. Optional 10x54 catalytic carbon filter with Clack, he build the systems himself. He says there the best around and he wants to do the service all the time (Personally kind of turns me off when you demand to do the service and says its the best systems)

(Local Company) Company 4 - Installs pre sediment filter, Clack 3 TC or 5 button Metered 9x48 or 10x54 softener with cation and anion resin, clack 5 button 13x54 sulfur filter with KDF85 or without KDF 85 and with or without post filter, build system himself

Aqua Systems Company 5 - Smart Gen II 10x54 softener with cation and anion resin, Smart Gen II 10x54 sulfur filter

I was set to go with company 1 but then I hear you really shouldn't mix carbon with softener resin and the sulfur filter will have carbon as one of the medias already so then I am loosing out on some softener resin.

Company 2 not sure about using an iron filter

Company 4 is little expensive, I am going to try to get him to come out to talk more on the systems he offers and see about pricing

Company 5 - Aqua Systems not sure, I hear a lot of people are happy with them, and from my understanding the smart gen II is technically a Clack valve

There is another company that build the systems himself and will build them right on site so you can see the resin/being put in.

Any insight/help would be great, sorry for such a long post.

Thank you in advanced.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Looks like you are dealing primarily with hardness and tannin, very slight iron and sulfur. Sulfur can be obnoxious even at very low levels.

A lot of these seem very odd, 3 button softener and 5 button filter, that is opposite of what would make sense.

Florida is notorious for Tannins, if tannin selective resin is working for you then keep it going. I am not a fan of mixing them but it tends to work more often than not. Your application has shown that it will work so stick with that as well.

My personal recommendation...
13x54 catalytic carbon 20x50 mesh with Clack or Fleck valve
13x54 softener anion mix, 1.75 cation, .75 anion.
Get a bucket of food grade citric acid and add some to the brine tank to help keep the resin clean.

RyanK

Reaction score
Thank you Ditttohead -
Do you generally prefer to have a separate Tannin filter and separate water softener? I have thought about that before when I was looking on US Water Systems website. But I am not sure about buying from them, I have brought a under sink RO from them but that is a little different from buying whole home system.

As far as the catalytic carbon filter, what type of maintenance is involved on that and how long should that carbon last?

I have been using BAN T citric acid, do you recommend another type? Also is there a good place to buy this type of equipment online?

Thank you again for your help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Separating the tannin resin is better. There are some unique tricks for this. A single tank with a divider plate works very well.I will post more info about this tomorrow. It is a little different but has been very effective. It tends to reduce a lot of the problems that ccur with mixed resin system, but you have not experienced these issues so that is excellent. The Ban-t is a great product! I will PM you my recommendations.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks